Chapter 4- Test Of Trust

Disclaimer: SOME of the dialogue in this chapter, all characters (but Grace and Philip), the main story line and settings belong to the amazing Cassandra Clare. Grace, Philip and my own story plot belong to me. The Infernal Devices do not belong to me.

***************************************************************************

'Why do we fall into love
When all we do is run into trouble
I don't know why I gambled on your heart
Cause it got lost in the struggle, yeah
Just give me one night
I'd risk everything
One night
I'd risk everything
One night
To win you back again.'

- One Night, Ben Haenow

***************************************************************************

-*-*-*-*- Will -*-*-*-*-

"Look, he's waking up," Jem said. Will stood from the dusty bed, feeling a little anxious.

"Are you sure you want to do this, Jem?" he said. "I'll help you whatever you choose I...I just want you make sure you're making the right decision."

"I'm sure, Will," Jem said, not looking at him. His gaze was cold and fixed on Philip.

"All I ask is that-" Will was interrupted by a groan from Philip.

"Urgh...where am I?" he moaned.

"In the Institute," Jem said coldly. Philip laughed softly.

"So you didn't turn me in to the Clave," he chuckled. "You are in some trouble, aren't you?"

"Yes, yes, yes," Will sighed dramatically. "We're all going to suffer the wrath of the Consul. I fear the wrath of Charlotte more than Consul Wayland, Philip, and so should you."

"You haven't even told her?" Philip asked, not faking the shock this time.

"We will," Jem said. "But I have some questions for you first."

"You want to know how to wake your sister up," he said.

"No," Jem said. "You were the one who got her in this position in the first place. I am not letting you anywhere near her."

"I wouldn't lie to you," Philip said. "Not about this. I love her, James and the Magister used that against me. He told me he had a way to spare her, to make sure Yanluo didn't kill her but still use the demon to stop the Clave."

"Oh really?" Jem said angrily, his voice rising to a shout. "You know there's no way to free Yanluo without killing Grace. You've been her doctor for years, Philip. How could you have been tricked by that? No, you're just saying that to cover your back so we wouldn't blame you. You don't love her. You don't deserve to love her! Someone like you doesn't know how to love."

"I'm not trying to save myself," Philip pleaded. "I know I've sealed my fate. What the Magister told me was what I wanted to hear. He used me because I was already so lost. You wouldn't understand but the Clave stole my childhood from me. All I did was stop a demon from possessing my brother. That was it. But they forced me to work for them in something I never understood. I made up what I was saying to Grace most of the time! I just want the Clave to understand that they can't be a dictatorship. We need a new leader, someone who won't force kids to do jobs they don't understand. For all I know, I could have killed your sister for suggesting something to her that wouldn't work."

Will turned to Jem who looked very conflicted. "He has a point, Jem," he said. "We both know what the Clave can be like. I mean, look what they did to Grace."