Epilogue II (Clockwork Prince)

Disclaimer: SOME of the dialogue in this chapter, all characters (but Grace and Philip), the main story line and settings belong to Cassandra Clare. Everything else like the rest of the writing and my own characters belong to me. I do not own The Infernal Devices as they belong to the brilliant and fantastic mind of Cassandra Clare.

**************************************************************************************

'Please don't stand so close to me
I'm having trouble breathing
I'm afraid of what you'll see right now
I give you everything I am
All my broken heart beats
Until I know you'll understand

And I will make sure to keep my distance
Say, "I love you," when you're not listening
And how long can we keep this up, up, up?'

- Distance, Christina Perri

***************************************************************************************

-*-*-*-*- Grace -*-*-*-*-

Leaning on the wall of the Silent City, Grace shivered and pulled her gear jacket tighter, but it wasn't the cold that was making her shiver. It was ten minutes to nine o'clock and she was waiting for the Silent Brothers to escort Philip into the chamber where his Marks would be stripped of his skin. The only greater shame was to become forsaken, but Philip's cooperation had spared him that fate. Although the alternative wasn't much better.

Clang!

The gate ahead opened and Brother Enoch entered, followed by another Silent Brother with Philip in between them. He looked miserable, his wrists and ankles shackled, his hair messy, his eyes bloodshot and his clothes torn. His eyes locked with Grace and widened in shock.

"Grace," Brother Enoch said. "I did not expect you to be here."

"I wasn't expecting to come," Grace replied, pushing herself off the wall. "May I have a few minutes with Mr Blackthorn, Brother Enoch?" The Silent Brother looked hesitant but nodded slowly, walking down the corridor with the other Brother. Once they were out of sight, Grace turned to Philip who looked nervous and unsure.

"I didn't think I'd see you again after..." he trailed off and looked down to the floor. "We'll, after you said you didn't want to see me again."

Despite everything that had happened, Grace hated seeing him like this. There was no spark in his emerald eyes anymore or any sign of his mischievous smile.

"How are you feeling?" Grace asked, taking a step towards him. She was almost close enough to touch him.

"I'm fine," he said. "It's what I deserve so I'm not complaining. It could have been a lot worse." He shifted from one foot to the other, the manacles clanking. "Is there a reason why you are here?"

"We've been through too much together for me not to be with you when it all ends," Grace said quietly. Philip looked are her, really  looked at her. His pupils dilated and his cheeks were glowing a slight red.

Before Grace knew what was happening, he had grabbed her arms and was kissing her. For one moment, Grace was too surprised to react but then her hands linked behind his neck and she kissed him back. He pressed her and her back struck the wall of the corridor. This was so similar to her dream but it wasn't a dream. It was real.

Despite his chains, Philip's hands grazed her sides. Her hands slid under his tattered shirt, exploring every scar, every ridge of muscle that mapped his feverish skin. He moaned softly against her mouth, murmuring her name. After forever of fighting her feelings, believing that Yanluo was tricking her, Grace realised that she was never being manipulated.

Cursed (Infernal Devices Fanfiction)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें