Chapter 13- The Beginning of the End

Disclaimer: SOME of the dialogue in this chapter, all characters (apart from Grace and Philip), main story line and the settings belong to Cassandra Clare. The rest of the writing, Grace, Philip and my story plot belong to me. I (unfortunately) do not own The Infernal Devices. ***************************************************************************************
'So lately, been wondering
Who will be there to take my place
When I'm gone you'll need love to light the shadows on your face
If a great wave shall fall and fall upon us all
Then between the sand and stone, could you make it on your own

If I could, then I would,
I'll go wherever you will go
Way up high or down low, I'll go wherever you will go.'

- Wherever You Will Go, The Calling

***************************************************************************************

-*-*-*-*- Grace -*-*-*-*-

The world around Grace seemed to slow down as the automatons raced towards them. The Shadowhunters drew their in slow motion and a fierce battle cry went up.

She grabbed Tessa at the same time as Jem and they both dragged her into the Institute.

"Stay here!" Grace shouted as the sound of battle erupted from outside.

"No!" Tessa said. "I can fight them with you!"

"Tessa!" Jem exclaimed. "They're after you! You need to hide!" Without looking to see if she ran, the twins turned and plunged back into the battle.

Jem ran to the right to stop an automaton advancing on Charlotte while Grace dove to the left, avoiding an automaton's blade by centimetres. She rolled out and drew the sword that was strapped to her back. The automaton was sliced in half even before it even took a step.

Grace whirled around, facing two more automatons that ascended the steps, each holding a long sword each. Grace held her sword with a two handed grip, giving the automatons a cheeky smirk. The first swung at her legs, attempted to cut her them off. She jumped over the sword, blocking the next strike from the second automaton who had stabbed at her stomach.

She dropped to the ground, sweeping the first off its feet then stabbing the second through its torso. Oil splattered her gear and face but she stabbed down at the one on the floor and sliced the head off the second. Snatching a dagger from her belt, she launched it at the automaton creeping up behind Cecily as she finished off another. Cecily turned in surprise and watching the metal monster fall.

"Now that's just showing off," she said.

"Rule number one in battle," Grace said as she threw another knife at the automaton Gabriel was fighting. "Always watch your back."

"You're giving me a lesson now!" Cecily yelled.

"Yes, I am," Grace said, ducking under a flying knife then slicing at an automaton. "Rule number two in battle: always listen to Grace. Now go and check on the Silent Brother."

"But-"

"Cecily, now!" she shouted. Cecily growled but did as she was told. Grace made sure that she had made it before turning to survey the rest of the battle.

Gabriel and Gideon were fighting a huge seven foot automaton on the bottom step. They worked seamlessly as a team, chopping off pieces of its arms and legs to hack it to the ground.

Henry was standing in front of Jessamine who was crouched by the wheel of the carriage, sobbing and screaming. He ducked as the automaton he was fighting stabbed its sword at him, colliding with the carriage instead. The glass window in the carriage shattered and the shards rained down on Jessamine.