Chapter 15- Philip

Disclaimer: SOME of the dialogue in this chapter, the main story plot (not my one) and the characters (apart from Grace and Philip) belong to the awesome mind of Cassandra Clare. Grace, Philip and my adaptions belong to me. So basically anything that isn't in the Infernal Devices.

**************************************************************************

'This time, don't need another perfect lie
Don't care if critics ever jump in line
I'm gonna give all my secrets away.'

- Secrets, OneRepublic

**************************************************************************

-*-*-*-*- Will -*-*-*-*-

"What do you mean, we can't go?" Will demanded. "You have to be joking." He and Jem were outside the Institute with Charlotte. Grace wasn't there; she was probably talking to Philip.

"I'm sorry but I'm not, Will," Charlotte said. "You, Jem and Grace need to stay here and protect the Institute. You know how Nephilm always leave the youngest behind to carry on in case...well, you know why."

"This is about Benedict Lightwood, isn't it?" Will said. He was already in a bad mood because of Tessa. Not to say she was the reason, but only the consequence of his curse. "Charlotte, he's a despicable b-"

"What Will is trying to say," Jem interrupted, giving his parabatai a meaningful look, "Is that Benedict will probably blame Grace, Will and I for the raid at de Quincey's town house so he's pressuring you to not let us go." Charlotte sighed.

"Yes," she conceded. "But I also need the both of you to watch Philip." Will and Jem both looked at each other.

"Philip?" Will said, already on edge.

"You heard what Nathaniel said," Charlotte sighed. "I haven't told the Enclave or the Clave about what Mr Gray told us about Grace and the Magister, but I'm not so sure we can trust Philip with this. We've already pushed his buttons too far with Tessa and the de Quincey raid. Writing a fake letter like that..." Will nodded. Jem had told him about the fake letter. At the time, he was angry beyond belief. He still was.

"All I need you to do is watch him," Charlotte said. "Protect the Institute and look after Grace."

"Grace can look after herself," Jem said. "But we'll watch out for her, as always." Charlotte gave them a sympathetic smile, before turning to join Henry and climbing into the carriage that had just rattled through the gates.

-*-*-*-*- Grace -*-*-*-*-

Grace sat in the drawing room with Philip, Jessamine, Nathaniel and Tessa. Tessa was pacing up and down by the window. Every so often she would glance at Nate and Jessamine then turn back to the window.

"How do you stand it, Grace?" she asked. Grace was slightly taken aback. Was she talking about what Jem had told her? "How many times have you watched them leave? How do you not worry?" Grace relaxed a bit.

"Because I believe that they are going to come back," Grace replied. "It's what we do. We don't say 'goodbye' or 'good luck', just wait for their return."

"Can you imagine saying 'goodbye' to someone before battle?" Jem said, coming into the drawing room with Will. "People may think that you are suggesting something." Will headed straight for Nathaniel, prodding the cup in his hand.

"Is there any tea in this?" he required. "Or is it just pure brandy?" Nate flushed a very dark scarlet.

"Brandy is restorative," he said.