Chapter 2- Too Close

Disclaimer: SOME of the dialogue in this chapter, all characters (apart from Grace), main story line and the settings belong to Cassandra Clare. The rest of the writing, Grace and my story plot belong to me. I (unfortunately) do not own The Infernal Devices.
************************************************************************************************
'There's a plague inside of me
Eating at my disposition
Nothing's left.'

- Panic Song, Greenday

************************************************************************************************
Will burst into the library, clutching the dagger they'd found two months back in his hand. Grace sat in the corner, curled on the armchair with one of her many sketch books. Will didn't even notice her as he dived for one of the shelves, running his hand delicately along the leather bound books until he found the one he was looking for.

"I knew it," he whispered. He shoved the book back and was about to hurry out.

"Where do you think you're going?" Grace asked, closing her drawing book. Will froze and cursed under his breath.

"Nowhere," he said, drawing the word out.

"Hmm," Grace said. She stood up, brushing down the gear she was wearing. Grace always wore gear unless she had to attend a special occasion or had to be seen in public. She hated wearing those heavy gowns that Jessamine did. It was much easier to walk about the Institute in gear so, if she wanted some space, she could just go down to the training room. When there were Council meetings Charlotte forced her then to wear a fine gown, much to Grace's disgust. Always had to impress the Clave.

"William, you've found out something, haven't you?" She said to him now. "And now you're rushing out without us to solve the mystery."

"No I'm not," Will protested.

"I'm not that stupid, Will," Grace said. "I knew there was something you weren't telling me when we witnessed the doings of the Pandemonium club. What have you found?" Will sighed and threw himself into another armchair.

"I've just spoken to some members of the Pandemonium club," he said. "I needed to be sure that what they were telling me was true."

"And?" She asked, impatient for his answer.

"All right , all right," he said. "Apparently these warlocks called the Dark sisters have been paying quite nicely for dead mundane bodies. They don't care how they get that way either."

"I've heard of them," Grace murmured. "Business women." Will gazed at her, reading her thoughts. Grace was itching to get out of the Institute today. 

"My thoughts exactly, Gracey," he said.

"Well what are we waiting for?" She asked. Energy was buzzing through her like electricity. "Come on, come on! You obviously know where they live so let's go take a look!"

"Blimey, you'll be the death of me with your excitement to run into dangerous places," he said dramatically, throwing his head back. Grace glided up to him.

"You want to go too and you know it," she grinned. He rolled his head against the top of the armchair towards her, his blue eyes glinting.

"I really really really want to go," he said. She clapped her hands and started for the doors. "Wait, what about Jem?" Will asked, who was only a step behind her. She stopped in her tracks.

"Umm...Jem had...Jem was ill today," she said slowly. She felt the tension in Will's body as he stiffened.

"What happened? Was it bad?" Questions flew out of his mouth.