Chapter 17- Choices

Disclaimer: SOME of the dialogue in this chapter, all characters (but Grace and Philip), the main story line and settings belong to the amazing Cassandra Clare. Grace, Philip and my own story plot belong to me. The Infernal Devices do not belong to me.
************************************************************************************************
'Your love can make me stronger, take the pain away
And your love can make me better, better
Baby let me testify, I wanna testify 'til it breaks me.'

- Testify, Ben Haenow
********************************************************************************************

-*-*-*-*- Grace -*-*-*-*-
The next morning, after a night of drawing everything that had happened in the last few weeks in her numerous amount of sketch books, Grace was exhausted. But no matter how tired she was, she was terrified to go to sleep in fear that she might never wake up again. Sleeping in the infirmary the night before was a big mistake that could of had deadly consequences.

There was a gentle knock on her door and she stood up to answer it. Jem stood in the corridor, his hair ruffled and his cheeks flushed. "Morning, Jem," Grace said, trying not to yawn. "Are you all right? You look a little...flustered."

"And you look tired," he countered. "Did you sleep much last night?" Grace shook her head.

"Not a lot," she sighed. "But I'm fine."

"Oh." Jem shifted nervously from one foot to the other, looking up and down the corridor. "Can I come in?" He asked. "I've got something important to discuss with you." Grace was bewildered but she opened the door a little wider and allowed Jem to enter. He did but did not sit down. Instead, he started pacing the length room up and down. Grace sat cross legged on her bed, her crystal glowing a bright orange. Jem was nervous, but why?

"Is this about what happened in the warehouse?" Grace asked. "Because I promise you I don't know how I burned through metal-"

"It's not about that," Jem interrupted. "We do need to talk about that, but not right now."

"Then what's making you so nervous?"

"Have you ever-" Jem started. "I- I think- By the Angel this is harder than I thought."

"Jem, you're scaring me," Grace said. "What's going on?" Jem took a deep breath.

"I'm in love with Tessa," he blurted out. Grace blinked.

"I know," she said with a laugh. "Seriously Jem, I have a necklace that can sense your emotions. Did you really think that I didn't know?"

"I'm going to ask her to marry me," Jem said. Grace's smile slipped away and silence followed as the twins stared at each other.

"Your reaction is not very encouraging," Jem tried to joke but the mood was very sombre.

"Wait, are you serious?" She asked. Jem nodded.

"As serious as I've ever been," he said. "I want to marry her. But I need your help to ask her."

"And what makes you think that I would know anything about asking someone to marry  you?" Grace said. "What makes you think I know anything about Tessa?"

"She did help you escape," Jem said quietly. "You know her better than you think. And you know me. That has to be a start." Grace sighed and looked at her hands.

"Are you sure that this is truly love?" She asked. "Because, as much as I hate to say it, she might not say yes because...well, because you can't give her forever, Jem. If she really loves you back then it shouldn't matter, but I just want you to be prepared in case it does matter in the end...." Jem sat down in front of her.