Alfie

Christmas was approaching and I was actually really happy with how well I was getting along with Zoe's mother. She was really nice to me and we became quite close. I could tell that Zoe didn't really like it all that much though so I tried to let her spend a lot of time with her mother. 

It was two days before Christmas and Zoe's mother offered to make us dinner and let us go out and do some last minute shopping and spend some time together. This was it, this was the time I was going to do it. It was going to be perfect. 

I ran into the bedroom to get my coat, but I was actually grabbing the ring and shoving it in my pocket before I went out to meet Zoe. 

"Thank you mum!" Zoe said with a smile as she kissed her mother on the cheek before we left. It was a nice temperature outside and the entire city was lit with fairy lights. It was beautiful. 

"Where do you want to go? Are there any shops you want to go to?" I asked her as we walked down the pavement hand in hand. 

"I don't actually have to go shopping, do you just want to walk?" she asked. I couldn't help but smile, because that was exactly what I wanted to do. I just wanted to walk, not go into crowded stores with other people trying to finish last minute shopping. 

I led Zoe down to the beach and we walked along the sand for a while, the sun was just setting in the ocean, and it was gorgeous. 

We got to the pier towards the end of the beach and I stopped. This was it, I was going to ask her. My heart was pounding and I knew, this was it. 

I reached into my pocket and looked at Zoe in the eyes. "Zoe Sugg, I need to ask you something." Her face suddenly changed into an expression I coudn't place. I got onto my knees as I pulled out the box and opened it. "Will you marry me?" 

She looked at me with that same expression that I couldn't place. I didn't know what she was feeling and every second she didn't answer my heart beat sped up. What was she going to say? I knew  she was going to say yes, but the wait was killing me. 

My heart leapt when she opened her mouth. What was she going to say? 

"No." 

xxx