Alfie

"Alfie, can you come here?" Zoe called to me from the main room. I wondered what she had to talk to me about. I shut the lid of my laptop and walked out into the hallway to find her. "Sit down," she said with a smile patting spot next to her. 

"What is it?" I asked sitting down next to her. 

"My mum's coming for Christmas, is that okay?" she looked at me intensely; this looked really important to her. I didn't really care so of course I said it was fine. 

"I would love that," were the exact words that came out of my mouth, and the next thing I knew was Zoe hugging me and kissing me and just thanking me. I didn't know it was this important to her, but if it made her happy I would totally do it for her. 

I had never met Zoe's mum and I was actually kind of scared. What if she didn't agree with me? What if she didn't think Zoe should have moved in with me so quickly. There were so many what if questions going through my brain. I tried to just let them all slip out of my brain so I could enjoy the time that Zoe and I had alone before her mother flew in from England. 

There was so much that had to get done. 

_______________

Each day that we decorated the house, or went shopping, or set up the spare bedroom for her mother, or baked cookies, the ring in my pocket just grew heavier and heavier and heavier. I needed to ask her, and soon too. 

I couldn't wait any longer. I wanted Zoe to know how strongly I felt about her and I wanted her to know that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her, and even though I knew she felt the same way I just had to make sure. I just had to. 

It had to be perfect though, and that perfect moment hadn't arrived yet. I would wait as long as I had to for that magical moment though. 

It was three days before Christmas Eve and Zoe and I were in a cab on the way to the airport to meet her mother. I couldn't stop shaking and Zoe tried to calm me down my putting her hand gently on top of mine, but I couldn't.

I hadn't ever had a serious girlfriend, so I'd never had to meet any of those girlfriend's parents; this was something that was completely knew to me. I was nervous, but I was also excited. Once I met her mum I could possibly get approval for asking Zoe to marry me. Well I could get approval, or I could get complete disapproval, I guess I would just have to wait and see! 

xxx