Zoe

When we got back to the apartment I just kind of sat on the couch and relaxed. I didn't really like flying, even though I had gotten used to it, and I always just needed some quiet time when we returned home. 

Alfie disappeared into the bedroom and I let myself immerse in thoughts. I thought about all the people I still needed to get gifts for, and all the people I had already gotten gifts for. Then, since I was thinking about Christmas, I remembered the text my mother had sent me and how she wanted to come over. 

I wondered briefly if she would fly all the way from England just for Christmas, even thogh we hadn't talked for ages. She could easily stay in England and have Christmas with Joe or something. Then I remembered that Joe still lived with our Dad and she would never do that. I was the only one she had. 

After a lot of thinking and formulating about what and how I was going to text her I pulled out my phone and decided it would be best to call her. I didn't want to have to type out a bunch of details, calling was the best option. 

She answered on the third ring. "Zoe, how are you honey?" Her voice was soft and I was struck at the realisation that I hadn't heard that voice in three years. My mother and I were very distanced, which I hated, because I loved her so much, even though sometimes she was hard to be around. 

"I'm really good mum, how are you?" I put my feet up on the little table across from the couch and started to relax. It wasn't that hard calling my mum, I could do this; I was doing this. I was talking to her. 

"I'm really good sweetie. How is America?" So she did remember that I had moved, for a while I didn't even think she had noticed that I left. Maybe she cared about me a lot more than I thought she did. 

We talked for a while before the subject of Christmas came up. "So do you want to come over? Because you defnitely can," I said softly; I was sure that Alfie would be okay if my mum spent Christmas with us. 

"I would love that," she said and I hoped that she was smiling. Christmas was just getting better and better. I was actually starting to get excited for once. 

xxx