Alfie

I waited in the main room for Zoe to come out of the bedrom when she was done talking to Louise on the phone. I didn't wait very long though, because before she could come out of the room I heard her crying. 

I rushed off the couch to the door which was shut. I wanted to open it right away and see if Zoe was okay, but I thought she might get angry if I just barged in so I knocked quickly and loudly. I could hear Zoe sniffling before she said, "Come in." 

I opened the door to find Zoe sitting on the bed. She had wiped away most of her tears, but I could still tell she had been crying. Her phone was sitting on the bedside table, I guess she had finished talking to Louise. 

"What's wrong?" I asked as I sat next to her on the bed, running my hands through her hair to try and make her feel better. 

"Nothing," she said with another sniffle. 

"Are you sure? If there's anything wrong, I want to help make it better." I hated when other people were sad, it just always made me so sad as well. I couldn't stand it at all. 

"Ya, I'm fine," Zoe said sniffling yet again. I was worried, was it something I had said, something I had done? It was obvious that Zoe didn't want to talk about it though, so I dropped it, even though I was really worried. 

"Well I but all the groceries away and I made dinner, do you want to come eat?" Zoe nodded and followed me out of the bedroom into the little dining table area we had to eat our meals at. I handed Zoe a plate of pasta that I had prepared and we both sat down at the table. 

We ate silently and it was weird. It was not the way I had imagined our first dinner living together to be, but if was obvious that Zoe wasn't in a good mood and I didn't want to push anything. I just hoped that she would be able to tell me why she was so upset, or that she would feel better in the morning. 

After she finished her dinner she stood up, put her dish in the dishwasher, and went to bed. It was super weird, I'd never seen Zoe act like this before and it scared me, I needed to find out why she was so upset. 

I made sure the front door was locked before I followed her into the bedroom. She was already under the duvet and her eyes were closeed, but I knew she wasn't asleep because she was making sniffling noises and there were tears rolling down her cheeks. 

I got into bed next to her and ran my hand gently along her cheeks to wipe away the tears. "Please tell me what's wrong Zoe," I said softly. I loved her and I wanted to make her happy. It killed me that she was so upset and I didn't know the reason why. 

xxx