She scowled at me and scanned my clothes. Her eyes narrowed as she clenched her fists at her sides. It was then I remembered I was wearing Jordan’s clothes.

Oh, this didn’t look good.

“It’s not what it looks like,” I said quickly. Yeah, I know. It was such a cliché phrase. People usually judge when someone said that but hey, what else can you say when it really isn’t what it looks like?

“I can’t believe this,” Laura stated, hurt plastered on her face. “Melissa was right.” She took a step backwards.

“Melissa?” I frowned. What did she have to do with any of this? “Lau, listen to me, I—”

“Shut up!” her voice cracked. “How could you? You knew how much I like him!” 

“Lau, I don’t know what you’re thinking but you’re wrong,” I tried to explain.

“Am I?” A tear rolled down her cheek, and she wiped it away angrily. “I knew you were hiding something from me!”

I couldn’t deny that. I was indeed hiding the entire Evan thing from her but it seemed like she wasn’t referring to that.

 “Don’t talk to me ever again,” she said through clenched teeth and started walking away. 

“Laura! Wait!” I chased after her desperately. The ground was hot due to the intense sun so I was forced to jump over it since I was walking bare feet. “Lau! Wait! Damn it! Ow!”

Laura was a good girl but she’d always been very gullible. I knew Melissa had probably poisoned her mind, telling her God knows what about me. And Laura, being the gullible girl she was, believed her. 

Let me tell you something: Laura was an excellent runner. No matter how fast I tried to run, no matter how many trash cans I dodged, I couldn’t catch up with her. By the time I reached her house, she already had gone inside and slammed the door closed. I rested my hands on my knees breathing heavily. I was literally out of breath. 

“Jules!” I heard a distant scream, and I snapped my head towards the street and spotted Jason’s car. He was there, half of his body was leaning over the window. “Get in the car now!” He sounded desperate. 

“I can’t! I have . . . I have to talk to Laura,” I explained, holding my chest. Jeez, I was seriously out of shape. 

“Get in now! This is an emergency,” I scowled at him. “Type Z,” he finished looking alert.

Alright, I blamed it on Jason, but as soon as he said emergency, I couldn’t help thinking this was about condoms. It was his entire fault that now, I related our emergency code to condoms. Reluctantly, I walked around his car and jumped into the passenger’s seat. As soon as I put my seatbelt on, Jason drove off fast.

“What’s going on? I swear to God, this is about condoms I will—”

“What? No,” Jason shook his head, “Why would you think that?”

“Then what is it? Because as far as I remember, Code Z is for a zombie apocalypse,” I couldn’t help chuckling. Yeah, our emergency codes weren’t really realistic. 

“Really? I thought that was Z +,” Jason retorted confused.