♢Chapter 25♢ - "Happy" Mother's day

'I do try... but everyone pushes me away.'

'Well, I'll be here if you need someone to talk to.'

~

I walked out of the room with the journal in my hands; the wood floor creaked with every step I took. I thought I should take it incase something where to happen to this place.

I almost forgot about my adoptive mother as I walked past the doorframe. I turned back and looked at her. She looked nothing like me, her skin tone was beggining to blotch in some spots on her face and neck, there was redness around her eyes and nose, and slight wrinkles on the eyelids that would slowly become more noticeable the closer you walked to her. Damn alcohol...did no one warn you of the damage it does?

She wasn't that old, either. It's sad to see someone of her age look like that. With dried up and short brown hair to top it off, most would guess about...56. Poor thing is 45. Should I do something...?

I turn back around. No, what have they ever done for me? I remember now, bastards put me with a family that isn't suitable for a child...or was it the best option compared to the others? Whatever it may be, it seems like they just wanted a daughter to show their friends that they had a healthy relationship... healthy for 8 months.

I took one step out and stopped. "But..." I murmured. Ayame was the one who sometimes showed a little care, unless it was forced... It was dead silent for at least a minute. Dammit. Turning back, I entered the apartment again and took the glass bottle that had rolled on the floor and smashed it into the wall on the other side of the room. The sound caused her to stir and let out an annoyed groan.

"You alive?" I said loudly. Her brows furrowed and her hand went up to her head where she gripped her hair. "Headache?" I went to the sink and found a cup, filled it with water and returned to the groggy woman. "Here."

"I don't want it." she raspily mumbles.

"Yes, you do." She slowly sat straight up, maybe thinking I'll shut up if she drinks it.

"Who are you?" She asked after a few gulps.

"Your daughter." Ayame brought a hand to her temple and began to massage it.

"I don't have a daughter." She retorts.

"I know, but you adopted one. From England." She rubbes her eyes and gets a better look at me.

"Ohhhhh." she took another gulp. "Yeah, yeah, you. Ugh, this isn't sake?" She asked to the cup in her hands.

"Unless they invinted a water with alcohol in it, there's none." She leaned back and rested against the couch.

"Aren't you late for work?" Same old Ayame, huh?

"I'm on a break. Do you have any food to, you know, survive?"

"Yeah, I've been getting loans from relatives since you decided to keep your money for yourself." she said cynically.

"If you didn't realize from the past few months I've been gone, I don't live with you anymore." I said defensively and walked over to the cabinet, which was surprisingly decent. Oh, you weren't lying. I grabbed three breadslices and walked back, where Ayame was ready to sleep again. "Not so fast." I called.

"Hm?"

"Breakfast." I stated and placed the bread in her hands.

"How fancy." She cooned.

"Why do I even bother?" I irritably said and turned away, crossing my arms.

"Because you allowed yourself to have more of a beating heart instead of a colder one." I opened my eyes a little more, glancing back at 'mother'. "And cut your hair, would you? I'll be damned if you become a geisha."