Δ Chapter 31 Δ - A Secret... or Two

Death Note - J, Chapter 31

*???*

My phone buzzes in my pocket several times. I quickly answer it through the bluetooth and take another look out the window. "Yeah? This is Lidner."

"Everything going well?" I can tell who it is already just by the voice.

"Everything's fine." I say, glancing over to the girl in the seats on the other side of the private jet. "She's pretty cooperative once she knows what's happening."

"Is she talking much?"

"She's asleep." I inform. She was out like a light not even half an hour after take off...

"Still?" There's a small pause. "I can see why. Poor thing."

"Mm-hm." I hum, still looking at her. "If the rumor is true; you can never take what Near says seriously most of the time."

"True that. Well, we were just checking on you guys. See ya soon."

"Bye," I say and hang up, then focus back on the new detective. If she's anything like Near says she is, then she'll speed up the pace of our investigation twice-fold. But we need to constantly keep an eye on her, Near orders; a bit of a 'suicide watch' of some sort for a while. Is it really true that she and L...? Why would Kira only take one of them? Surly he needs to kill them both. Unless it's been her the whole time, I joke to myself.

She stirs and her eyelids shut tighter, her face a bit of a frown. Waking up? I think, mentally preparing myself for a conversation with her. After a few seconds of nothing happening, I relax and return to my laptop and work. Her skin color says that she recently stopped going outside as much as usual, and years of stress and anxiety are starting to really show in her eyes. Not just the undereye, but the whites and irises themselves... there's a drained look in them. If we could relax her for just a while, she could look a lot healthier. She needs this help. If we could fix her up within a few years...

"...za...ki..." Her lips barley move. "Ryuu...zaki..." I turn back to her and watch her eyes become tighter for a second, then in the next, tears slipping out in drops. She begins to stir even more, her breathing uneven. "Ryuuzaki..." I bite my lower lip, going back to work until whatever dream she's having wakes her up. I don't want to look like I was watching her the whole time, it might be a bit strange... Who am I kidding? I'm sure she knows we're keeping our eyes glued to her until we're ordered to do otherwise. "Ahh! Haa...!" I see in the corner of my eye that she shoots up from her seat, bringing one hand to her forehead and gasping.

"Nightmare or something?" I ask in a way that makes me sound like I don't care.

She takes a few more sharp breaths, some loud enough to get me to stop typing look over at her. All she does is give me a confused look, eyes squinting slightly. I wait for a response, but she continues to stare at me. "Is something wrong?" I continue.

Her eyes stay like that for another moment, then as she blinks the confusion leaves them. "I'm fine." she tries in a reassuring voice, looking away. Sure, sure. "I just... I... yeah. Bad dream." she tries to quickly dry her eyes with a swipe under them with both hands. "Are we almost there?"

I check the time. "Around two more hours." A thirteen hour trip and she basically slept through it all. If it weren't for Near being the closest damn thing to a psychic and telling me not to disturb her should she sleep, I would have drawn the line at 5 hours. "You need to eat." I say, grabbing the small bag of trail mix from the seat next to me, and only giving her a second heads-up before tossing it to her. "We'll get some real food when we land."