§ Chapter 10 § - Tennis, Questioning, and Surprises...

*** :D ***

.

*Follow my tumblr for quick news updates, special previews, and deleted scenes! I'll also be answering and asking questions about my stories there!
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/ilive4games

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 10

~If you lose the DEATH NOTE or have it stolen, you will lose its ownership unless you retrieve it within 490 days.~

"I have to admit, I was a bit surprised, Ryuuga-kun." Light says. Currently, we're in the tennis courts of Tou-Ou university. I was actually surprised myself when Ryuuzaki asked Raito to play tennis with him; I never pictured Ryuuzaki playing a sport. But I think this is some sort of reason to profile him based on how he handles things competitively (since Kira hates losing), while it only looks like a friendly tennis match. Clever. "I never thought you'd ask me to play tennis as a way to get to know each other." He adds.
"Is it a problem?" Ryuuzaki asks with his monotone voice sounding like it has boredom. "And you can just call me Ryuuga."

"Not at all."

"Why am I here again, Yagami-kun?" I ask, seeing that he's the one who invited me. Ryuuzaki couldn't exactly go against that. "I already told you that I-ve never played before." Just like I thought it would be, awkward.

"You don't want to at least learn?"

"No," I answer honestly.

"You did say that you haven't made any other friends on campus yet." Ryuuzaki tells me.

I chuckle. "I guess you guys got me there!" Honesty... I do wish to help investigate Light as much as possible, but... tennis?

"Some of the tutors who have taught you in home school said that they noticed how focused you can be, and how easily you can catch things. Maybe you can be a line checker." Ryuuzaki suggests.

"Anybody can do that..."

Light sneers. "Oh, really?"

"Huh?"

"Why do you assume that's easy?" Ryuuzaki joins in on the attack.

I play along. "Fine then, I'll give it a try."

"When you first invited me to play, did you know how good I was?" Light asks Ryuuzaki.

"Yes." he answers right away. "I'll be fine though. It's been a while, but at one time, I was actually the British Junior Champion." There was a slight pause. Is he that shocked?

"Really? You actually did that?" I ask in an excited voice.

"Ryuuga, were you raised in the UK?" Light eventually asks.

"I lived in England for about five years when I was younger. But save your breath - nothing in that story would reveal L's true identity, I promise you."

Oh, I think as I realize what Light was trying to do.

"Then why not just tell it...?" I try to soften the jab he just threw at him and ask a suspicious question at the same time, only to receive one for myself through a cynical stare. "There was no need to say it like that." I feel Light's stare for a second.

"Think before you speak, Kuroki-san."

It was silent after that until we get to the courts.