Chapter 7 - The Bill

Start from the beginning

"Why do we have to go all vanilla on this song?" Mercedes asked annoyed "See, what we need is my chocolate thunder."

"We don't have time to rearrange a song for you, Mercedes. Rachel is singing it. Don't worry, we'll find something for you to dip in chocolate," Mr. Schue said as most of us laughed besides Finn who seemed to be confused. "On to item two. The school won't pay for the special bus we need to take Artie and his wheelchair with us to sectionals." Mr. Schue said as we all looked shocked.

"W-w-what?!" Tina stuttered. "That's completely unfair," Rachel frowned. "So we're going to have to raise money to pay for it ourselves," Mr. Schue said as Tina seemed to nod towards Artie, the rest of us however didn't know exactly what he meant by that. "See, when I was in glee club, and we needed new silk cummerbunds for regionals, we held a bake sale."

"No," I muttered as I shook my head as most of the other glee club members also looked around at each other awkwardly, laughing slightly.

"Wait, you're joking right?" Santana asked "I mean, bake sales are kind of bougie." "So hip people stopped eating delicious sugary treats?" Mr. Schue asked incredulously. "It's not that," Brittany began "It's most of us don't know how to bake? I find ... recipes confusing." "My family is fully committed to takeout," Rachel agreed. "Yeah, Mr. Schue, kids are busier than when you went here. We've got homework and football and teen pregnancy ... lunch," Finn said. "Can't Artie's dad just take him?" Mercedes asked as most of us nodded. After all, who would buy anything from us Glee losers for a bake sale anyway?

"I can't believe how insensitive you're all being. Are you a team?" Mr. Schue scolded us, obviously upset over us not wanting to help Artie out. "Of course," I shrugged "But Artie understands, don't you, Artie?" "Oh... Of course," Artie said as I gave Mr. Schue an I-told-you-so smirk "I-It's cool. Anything that takes away our time from rehearsing doesn't serve the team."

The bell rang as we left the choir room. I think we all felt bad for Artie but we didn't want to risk being laughed at for trying to have a bake sale. We were already such losers. Sure, we had some of the popular kids in Glee Club but how would we convince anyone outside of the club to buy anything from us? I was glad we didn't have to think about that anymore.

The next Glee rehearsal I sat in the back as I lay my head on Finn's shoulder. I couldn't help still feeling stressed about everything that was going on in my life between the bill, being kicked off the Cheerios, and on top of that trying to keep up my image to my parents. It was exhausting trying to be the girl I once was. Besides that I had another life to worry about. I had to eat right, get enough rest, and take care of myself so this baby girl could grow and flourish to have her best life.

Once Mr. Schue entered Kurt stood up. "I have something I'd like to say," he said as he had all of our attention "I want to audition for the Wicked solo." Everyone seemed excited that Kurt wanted to try out, myself included. I knew he had a pretty great voice. We were paired up during the 'Keep Holding On' number and I could see how his voice would suit Broadway. Besides that if anyone could give Berry a run for her money it would be Kurt.

"Kurt, there's a high F in it," Mr. Schue said shaking his head. "That is well within my range," Kurt said hands on hips. I couldn't help but smile while some of the other kids oohed. "Well, I think Rachel's going to be fine for the female lead, but I'm happy to have you try out something else, Kurt. And we'll make sure it's got a killer high note," Mr. Schue smiled encouragingly as Kurt frowned as he sat back down.

I felt sorry for Kurt yet again, most solos are auditioned for typically so just for Rachel to get it hardly seemed fair. I felt like he at least deserved a chance to audition. Ultimately Rachel might be the better person for the job but it would only be fair for him to at least get a chance.