“No, you don’t understand. I have tickets. I just need to get them upgraded for the next flight today.”

            “I am very sorry Miss Crey.” The man looked at the ticket Anne had handed him in hope that he could help. “It just won’t work out.” Anne could tell this man was not sorry in the least.

            “Listen,” Anne leaned in so the man was an inch from her face. “I am going to enlighten you on a subject.” Her voice had become a growl. “A very bad man is after my son.” She shoved a finger towards Andrew, who at the moment was staring out the window trying to be oblivious to the conversation at the counter. “He is after my son. I want to leave a day early to get away from a psycho. Can you help us?” Anne had become fierce.

            “I will see what I can do,” the man said with wide eyes. He tapped at keys on his computer.

            Minutes later, Anne and Andrew were headed through security holding new tickets that had been reprinted.

            “Hello, Mrs. Crey. How are you today?” The TSA agent asked her with a soft smile.

            “I have been better.” Anne said.

            “I’m sorry ma’am,” the TSA agent said with sincerity. He waved both Anne and Andrew through. Enjoy your flight.”

Andrew and Anne passed through the rest of security was ease. They were soon on their way to gate C2.

            Once Andrew and Anne had sat down on the plane; Andrew fell into a deep slumber.

                                                                        #

            The next thing Andrew knew he was jolted awake. He was sweating profusely. His breath came in labored gasps. A small dream had taken a terrible turn.

            Andrew had been in a field of brilliant green. Soft, melodic music hung on the wind.

            The sun hung in the sky as if by a string. The sky was a brilliant blue tinged in red fire. That was where the pleasantries ended, though.

            Suddenly, the grass caught fire. The winds ceased its beautiful blowing. The sky turned black as ash; like it had burned and all that was left was blackness.

            A dark face filled the sky. Fire burned behind the gray of his eyes. A sharp cackle filled the world. It gained amplitude. As the cackle rose, so did the fire. The smell of death hung impossibly thick in this terror.

            The fire disappeared as soon as it had come.

            Andrew jolted awake when the plane had hit a field of turbulence, causing the plane to rattle like a snake. He calmed his breathing and looked at the night sky filled with bright stars. He felt safe up here. No burning sky, no evil cackle; just the sound of the plane droning on.

                                                                        #

Thomas Markham sat in a white Mustang across the street from Andrew and Anne’s home. The tinted windows shielded his face from any prying eyes. Thomas had chosen the mustang because it wasn’t too pretentious in this neighborhood. Everyone and everything moved about their business and didn’t care whether there was a new car on the street.