Chapter 35 || "Helaina's A Child Of God"

Start from the beginning

Her words hit me like a tsunami, instantly ruining my good mood and destroying the fuzzy feeling inside. I sigh and nod.

"Unfortunately, he did." I say.

"What did he do?"

Julia and I sit down in our usual spots, throwing our bags onto the grass next to us. We're the first ones here.

"He offered up some bullshit excuse explaining why he acted the way he did." I say, pulling my water bottle out of my bag. I tilt my head back, take a gulp of water, and say, "Apparently the reason he acted out was because he was high. I thought weed made you calm, not angry."

"It depends on the person, just like alcohol." Kennedy says, appearing suddenly at the table with Ben at her side. They sit down and Ben shoots me a look.

"I never thought I would hear you talking about weed, Helaina." he says, and Kennedy snorts.

"That's because Helaina's a child of God, am I right?" she teases. Ben and Julia laugh.

"What's so funny?" Carson asks, sliding into the spot next to Julia. He grabs her chin and turns her face so that she's facing him, pressing his lips against her. Julia pulls away quickly.

"Oh nothing, just something Kennedy said." Julia says, pulling out a container with salad.

"Well what was it?" he asks.

"I just said-" Kennedy begins, but Julia cuts her off.

"I said it was nothing. You had to be there to find it funny." Julia says curtly.

"What's your problem, Julia?" Carson asks, but before the conversation has the chance to turn heated, Charlotte, Ethan, and Mason appear and sit down at the table.

"Is everyone still coming tonight?" Kennedy asks, and everyone nods. "Do you still have to babysit tonight, Char?"

"Last time I checked, the Walson's still have underage kids and their parents are still going out tonight, so yes." Charlotte responds.

"God, I asked a question, not for sass." Kennedy says, and Charlotte smirks at her.

"What about you, Ethan?" Kennedy asks.

"Yeah, Ethan. You can still hang out with just because Char's not coming. We were all friends before you two started dating." I remind him, and he shrugs.

"I know that, but Char and I were going to try and hang out after she's done." Ethan says.

"Ethan's getting laid tonight." Carson says, and everyone at the table bursts out laughing. Everyone except for Charlotte, that is. Her face turns bright red and she looks down, clearly wanting to kill Carson for saying that.

"You know it's not lie that." Charlotte says quietly.

"Yeah we know. That's just how Ethan wishes it was." Ben adds in, causing even more laughter. Charlotte stands up, grabs her bag, and begins to walk away.

"Char, wait!" Ethan calls, grabbing his bag and chasing after her.

"Leave me alone!" she yells, running into the building. Ethan disappears after her, and the table falls silent.

"What the hell is wrong with you, Carson? That was so uncalled for." Julia says, rolling her eyes.

"Don't blame just me. Ben said something too!" Carson says defensively.

"Ben never would've said something if you hadn't." Julia spits.

"Yeah, whatever." Carson says.

"Don't whatever-" Julia begins, but Kennedy quickly cuts her off.

"So!" she exclaims loudly. "What time is everyone coming tonight?"

"What time do you want us to?" Mason asks.

"I don't care, like seven?" Julia asks, looking around. Everyone nods.

"I'll text Evelyn and tell her."

Mason pulls out his phone and begins typing.

"Are you ready for the physics test next block?" Julia asks.

"I guess." I say, taking a bite out of my sandwich. "I spent like an hour straight studying last night, so I'm hoping everything really sunk in my head. You?"

"I'm pretty sure I'll do good. I did good on all of the classwork and quizzes, so if I don't do well on the test, I'll be shocked." she explains.

"Yeah."

I feel my phone buzz, and I look down to see a new snapchat notification. I slide my finger across the notification and unlock my phone, opening up the app. I open all of my snapchats and reply to them one by one with a selfie. I exit out of the app and open up instagram, scrolling through my feed and explorer page.

Twenty-five later, the bell rings. Everyone stands up and heads their separate ways, going off to fourth block. Julia looks at me and asks, "Ready?"

I sigh and stand up.

"Ready as I'll ever be."

-
-
-

AN: new chapter is up! sorry it took me so long, the chapter started heading in a completely opposite direction from what I had planned so I had to restart the chapter today and completely write it from scratch. i'm saving the part of the chapter i wrote & deleted for a later one. as always, don't forget to comment and vote! hope you enjoy!