Chapter 98

(Hosanna's POV)

(Hosanna's POV)

I decided to take several initiates shopping in the Pit after dinner for protein powder to supplement their diet. I'm surprised by how many of them join me though, since I only intended to take a couple of them.  I guess most transfers don't know much about the type of diet a Dauntless should eat. I almost feel like I'm giving a tour or something. I hear them all whispering as we cross the Pit. It's mostly positive about me. I smile. That helps.
Peter has been such a downer. I know he must be upset about his cousin but we each make our own choices in life. Jacob is gone and there's no bringing him back. Maybe if his attitude doesn't improve, I'll consider possibly letting him see the footage of what Jacob had done to me but it's quite humiliating and I'm naked in the one from the roof. The items he stole from me are embarrassing and I saw one where he was trying to peek in my shower stall but I finished and he ducked out of the bathroom. I figure that I should talk to Eric and see what he thinks.
I take the initiates around to the same health store Eric took me to during my initiation, the one we still frequent. I show them what I use and introduce them to the shop owner. He recommends something different for each of them starting out and I'm grateful for the assistance since he's so knowledgeable. I'm also glad this worked out so well. I leave them there to choose what would be best for each of them and wave as I go.
I decide that it's taken a while and I'm going to check up on Peter's punishment. I assigned Four to supervise him. He said he'll just stay the whole time and watch over Peter. My brother thinks he has the same mentality as his cousin and has to be monitored or he'll slack. I frowned at that because I didn't realize Jacob was that bad for everyone but me last year.
I arrive at the cafeteria and it's completely empty. I walk back to the staff entrance for the kitchen. I push the door open and see my brother leaning up against the wall. He's watching as Peter scrubs some dirty dishes from dinner at the enormous cafeteria sink.
"Hey," Tobias says to me.
"Hey," I respond with a small smile. "How's he doing?" I ask.
He shrugs. "Fine, I guess."
I notice Kay walk through the back of the room with a large storage container. I'm surprised to see her here this late since she's in charge of breakfast but then I remember that Abnegation probably just came to pick up dinner and a manager has to be present. I excuse myself and walk to the loading area. I see a truck docked and I run in to Justin.
"Hi, long time no see," I say.
"Oh, hello Hosanna. It's good to see you," he responds.
I smile at him. "Do you want some help loading up?" I ask.
"No thanks, we're just about done. This is the last container, I think," he tells me grabbing a box and loading the truck.
"Who's here with you?" I ask.
"Earl often drives in the mornings and evenings," he says.
I smile. "Where is he?" I inquire.
"Um, I think he was talking with Kay," he tells me scratching his head and pointing in the direction of the pantry.
I walk back there and see the two chatting quietly and smiling. He's holding her hand. I frown. Sometimes I wish our city wasn't separated like it is. I sigh and turn around. I wanted to talk to him but I'd hate to interrupt.  I step back out and walk over to my brother.  He glances at his watch and raises an eyebrow at me.  "Alright Peter, finish up that last dish and you can be done," I say.
He looks over his shoulder at me.  "You clean up nicely," he grins. 
I furrow my eyebrows at him and look down at what I'm wearing.  It's casual but not my leadership outfit.  I still have my holster on but I've lost the vest and have a pseudo-dressy shirt on. I think I put a little makeup on, too.  "Um... thanks?" I respond. 
Peter finishes the dish, dries his hands, hangs up his apron and steps away.  We're about to follow him out when I hear a familiar voice approaching.  I smile.
"Let's go say hi," I tell my brother.  I grab his shirt and pull him along. 
We greet Earl.  He's excited to see my brother and surprised at how different he looks.  We chat for a few minutes.  Justin joins us and tells us he's working under Andrew Prior now.  He changed a few things about what he'll be doing but he said it was worth it and he enjoys his job more.  My brother and I bid them farewell and head out of the kitchen. 
We cross through the cafeteria and hallway.  As we arrive at the Pit, I notice someone passing by looking very different.  "Tris, that dress really suits you," I say. 
She looks down at the black knee length dress.  I can see a blush on her cheeks.  "Thanks," she responds shyly.  "You don't think it's too much, do you?"
"No, you look beautiful.  I like the makeup, too," I compliment. 
She smiles.  "It was Christina's idea," she admits.
"Well, she has good taste," I respond.
I see Christina with the biggest grin joining us.  I turn to my brother and he's just staring.  "Well, we'll see you in the morning," I say.
Tobias and I walk away.  I wave to them.  As we cross the Pit, I open my mouth to say something to my brother, but I close it abruptly when I see him looking over his shoulder at Tris.  I bite my lip and keep my happy thoughts to myself.