Chapter 18

(Hosanna's POV)

Eric and I arrive in the training room early in the morning surprised to see all five of the almost members waiting for us. 
"Well, you're here early," I comment smiling.  Eric didn't actually think they'd show up, but I did.  I know how determined the girls are to stay which is why I think they brought the boys last night—to show them how we don't hate them or think less of them.   They just need to learn the fundamentals better than they did before.
A look of dedication passes through each of their faces.  "We didn't want to miss out on anything you were going to teach us," Julia says.
I smile, "Good."  I offer to let them run with us or run around the track in the training room until we return.  They said they would start in the training room and try to build up their stamina first.  I can understand that. So it was just Eric and me for our run.  I caught Eric looking to me every so often.  I think he's glad to have me all to himself for the time being.  I can't say I don't feel the same. 
We enter the training room from the side door to see all of them are still jogging.  I look to Eric to see a smile form on his face.  I nudge him a little.  "I guess they just needed their leaders to know they care," I say.
"Why are you always right?" he responds jokingly.
We call them to us to take a break, tossing them each a bottle of water.  Afterward, Eric leads them over to the weights.  He takes the boys while I assist Julia and Abby.  This was his idea and a good one at that.  I didn't really want to be that close with any of the boys, while Eric said helping Abby with her aim before just didn't feel right.  I'm glad because that might just create unnecessary tension between us.  We show them some strength exercises and join in as we all rotate from weight to weight.  I find it encouraging that they're doing so well; perhaps all along, all they needed was a little more personal attention. 
In no time at all, we're standing in front of the punching bags.  I watch the girls again while Eric takes on the guys.  I correct their stance and tell them just to focus on doing the movements properly for the time being before hitting the bags harder.  When they're more comfortable with punching properly, they start to hit harder.  I see each of their bags swaying and I smile, jumping in line to do my routine.
Eric removes his shirt and comes up next to me, starting his exercises as well.  "They're all going to make it as long as they continue to improve," he whispers to me before a punch.  I smile, content that they'll all most likely stay. 
Before I finish on my bag, I hear Eric take the boys over to the mat.  Julia looks over my shoulder and whistles, "Wow.  I've never seen him with his shirt off.  You are one lucky girl."
"Um... thanks?" I say awkwardly.  I guess I never cared that much about his appearance.  I do find him completely attractive but I think his personality and tenderness towards me is what drew me to him the most.
We finish up and walk over to the boys.  I watch as Eric flips each of them to the ground but they roll away unharmed.  He calls me up and shows me what to do while the boys practice on another mat.  The girls just observe for the time being.  Before he flips me by the arm, he instructs me to tuck my head in, along with my other arm and roll my body as I come in contact with the mat.  I do so laughing as I hit the ground.  Eric smirks and has me practice with Abby first. 
After everyone has it down, Eric has me standing in the center of the ring with two boys told to attack me at once.  I furrow my brows.  I don't think Eric knows that I can stand up to several people at once.  When Eric shouts, "Begin!" I quickly toss both boys in a matter of seconds. 
Eric scratches his neck.  "You've done this before, haven't you?" he says.
"Yes," I admit.
"How many?" he says.
"Four?" I say recalling that we didn't get past that many when Amar trained me.
He signals four of them to come at me at once.  It's a bit harder and I'm out of practice, but after a minute they're all on the ground.
"Good," Eric nods.  "You'll be doing this every day this week. Next week you'll face off against each leader every day, all of us the last day."
Shock covers my body.  I wasn't expecting that.  Eric approaches me.  "Don't worry, you'll do fine," he says kissing me gently.
He backs away and calls all five of them into the ring.  We continue on with sparing practice for them, preparation for facing the leaders for me.