Chapter 13: Tick-tock

The sky was gray and filled with dark clouds. It crackled and boomed off in the distance. When there was thunder there was rain. Ari did not want to be outside when it did. The downpour would soak him in seconds and he hated being soaked the most. Ari did not think that would ever change.

Lightning struck. The ground shook and rumbled, making Ari become more aware of his surroundings. He fought the need to gravitate toward Cyrus as best he could, but something kept pulling him closer. Was it because of the comfort Ari felt in his presence or was it because he was thirsting for blood? Ari swallowed at the last thought and could barely even take a glance in Cyrus' direction.

Kaval's words were eating away at him as best as Ari tried to ignore them. He was like them, yes. However, he was something else entirely. By knowing what he was, Ari hoped to understand himself better.

Ari tucked in his bottom lip watching the sway of Cyrus' hands. Slowly, Ari unclenched his hands from the fist he was holding it in and outstretched it towards Cyrus'. He took it back the second Cyrus moved his hand and combed it through his hair. Ari dropped his gaze to the dirt turning into cobblestone. Why, when they were once so intimate before, did he find it so hard to put Cyrus' hand in his?

When Ari looked up again, there were small buildings, large buildings, misshapen buildings, and decrepit buildings off into the distance. As with every town and city, there was a bell tower that was set at the top of the tallest structure. It tolled with the wind, slow and melancholy. The streets were barren save for a few stray cats and dogs that ran into the dark alleyways at their oncoming presence. It was as if no one had lived there.  

"What happened here?" Ari ventured to ask, fearing the answer Cyrus would give him.

"I do not know. It was like this when I came."

"Are all the towns near the border like this?"

"I suppose it is."

"Dantic is already so large and vast. Why-- "

"You are nothing but a thing full of questions and curiosity."

Ari kept his eyes trained on the ground. "Because I am trying to make sense of this senselessness. Nothing is going to come from this but more death... "

Cyrus shrugged his shoulders. 

"I suppose so."

"And you find nothing wrong with it?"

"It is something I am used to."

"But not something that you want?" Ari inquired.

Cyrus shook his head no. "It is not something that I want... I already told you what it is that I want, so do not ask questions you know the answers to."

Ari opened his mouth to say something, but he became tongue-tied. His face grew unbearably hot. Ari kept forgetting just how direct Cyrus could be with things. In a strange off-handed way, Cyrus' words seemed to have some semblance of affection under all of his... Ari glanced at Cyrus and turned away the moment his eyes met with a pair of green ones. 

"Why do you become so undone over a few words?" 

"Because I like you and your words, as small as they can be, hold meaning to me. Because you are important to me." Ari grabbed his hand in his. "Very important to me."

Cyrus looked down at him with questionable eyes as he intermingled his fingers in with Ari's . 

"My words are not so colorful as Auo--"

"It does not matter. I do not like him for the same reasons that I like you. It would be impossible... because you are both so very different. However, your words still make my heart beat fast and my face flush. Why that is, I do not know. Perhaps, because they are your words coming from your lips that I like to kiss," Ari mumbled trying his best not to become embarrassed by his own words.