Part 7

The phone was ringing but as usual mum was not picking up. Finally on the fifth call she answered. "hello?" Betty knew it was either her son or one of the pack members, no one else had the number, and the person phoned enough knowing she would be cooking.
"hey mum, I'm bringing jazz round tomorrow but don't tell dad! You know what he will be like!"
"Oh but what about your mate?"
"I will explain that soon mum," he said exasperated with the question.
"Oh, right I see, well at least let her down gently. I mean it does it not count as cheating to the humankind? They don't understand the need that wolfs do."
James didn't feel it necessary to explain to his mother that she misunderstood, he hoped she would miscomprehend his comment, jasmine was his mate and she will realise soon enough, he just hopes she won't take it as badly as he knows his dad will.
"Yeah, mum," James said after a pause.
"when do we get to meet the mystery girl?" she said hopefully
"soon enough mum," James said smirking.
"oh good and grand cubs? I mean you did mate with the moon so there should be some shouldn't there?"
"MUM!"
"OK I'm sorry I'm sorry but an old wolf can dream." she was obsessed, she loved cubs, she loved the house been full of them too, she only had one though, she has twins James and his sister Emma but in a tragic human attack the young wolf was fatally wounded, she hadn't even lived past first change, the same night as Betty nearly died and lost her ability to have cubs again. Otherwise, she would have had hundreds knowing Betty, but that was Betties' story to tell.
"goodbye mum!" James said before she mentioned cubs again.
"Goodbye son," Betty said as she signed and ended the call.
Maybe Betties' obsession with cubs was because she never got to raise Emma? Either way, she wouldn't be getting cubs from James any time soon.