six

Brynn's POV:

I stare down at the food on my plate not feeling very hungry anymore. I'm having dinner with my parents and have just dropped the bomb that I'm seeing someone, but of course they are immediately judging me thinking that staying with Austin for the sake of Elle was the best choice.

"But if I wasn't happy then how was that the best choice?"

My mother rolled her eyes. "It's not just about your happiness, it's about Elle's too."

I sighed and grabbed my plate heading straight to the kitchen. I heard my parents continue to talk and just ignored them. I offered to do the dishes just so I could be away from them for a few minutes. After about an hour of me slowly scrubbing each plate my mother came into the kitchen. "You've been in here for so long. There isn't even that many dishes."

I don't look up as I continue working on the same plate I had been for the past fifteen minutes. "The food was hard to get off."

My mother sighed. "Brynnie, I know you think you made the right choice but-,"

"But nothing mom! I have always done what you wanted in life. Always! I have never once gone against what you said. I got this reporting job like you wanted, I went to the University of Toronto like you wanted, I even majored in Journalism and sports broadcasting just like you wanted me to do. Now all of a sudden I make a decision that I want and it's the worst thing in the world? That's not fair."

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I turned the water off and threw the dish back into the sink hearing it break. I pushed past my mother and my father who was sitting at the bar listening to our conversation and grabbed my coat and phone. I didn't even say goodbye as I walked out the front door and into the Toronto chill heading towards my car. My mom came running after but I had already pulled out of the driveway and down the road. I finally let the tears fall as I drove home. I pulled into my driveway and laid my head against the steering wheel. I lifted my head just slightly when I saw my friend Jess standing on the front porch with Elle in her grasp. I smiled and laughed. I got out of my car, turning it off, and walked up the stairs to my condo where I saw Jess leaning over the rail. I stopped in front of her and she gave me a frown and put down Elle to give me a hug. "It's okay Brynnie. They will understand when they meet him just how happy he makes you. I promise!"

I nodded and gave her a hug, thanking her for watching Elle. I walked inside and brought Elle to the bathroom so I could give her a bath. When I finished with Elle I set her on the bed to watch cartoons as I went to shower myself. When I got out of the shower I threw on a pair of panties and an oversized t-shirt walking over to my bed. I grabbed Elle and laid back on the pillow falling asleep with a pounding headache.