Chapter Twenty-Nine | O Negative

Philip slammed the land cruiser into gear and we sailed out of the Clearson's driveway. Brett and Piper held onto a bleeding Blake in the back of the car. I hastily texted my mother, telling her that Blake had tripped and sprained his ankle and we were taking him to the emergency room. She didn't ask any questions, knowing that Piper and Philip's dad worked at the hospital. Lori and Charlotte had run to our house and now we were exiting Thistlewood Lane.

    The Clearson boy shot into the road. He didn't look for cars or the speed limit. Philip pressed the pedal down and illegally passed a car. It should've taken us at least twenty minutes to cross town, but with Philip driving, it took around seven.

    Phlip screamed to a halt in front of Beacon Hills Animal Clinic. We all piled out the car in a rush. I ran to the door and knocked feverishly. Within seconds, Deaton was at the door. Brett and Piper lurched forward as Deaton opened the door. I led the way and the two slammed Blake onto a metal table in the middle of the examination room.

    Blake's eyes were closed and his breathing was faint. Deaton threw a long bundle of gauze on my cousin's chest.

    "What happened?" Deaton questioned while bandaging the wounds.

    "A beast, something big, like a wolf," I tried to explain what we saw in Piper's backyard.

    "He was big too big be a wolf," Piper shot.

    "I didn't think there were wolves in California," Philip added. "This may be more a supernatural kind of wolf thing."

    "He's lost a lot of blood," Deaton had finished bandaging Blake. "I don't have any human blood. Does anyone know his blood type?"

    My eyes grew wide. I didn't know.

    Piper stepped up and rolled the sleeve of her jacket, "It doesn't matter I have O negative."

    Deaton nodded and wasted no time. He pulled out a bunch of plastic tubes and a single IV. Piper pushed her arm out and I turned away as Deaton wrapped a piece of fabric around her arm before slipping the needle into her arm.

A stream of Piper's blood slid through the IV and into Blake's heaving body. His eyes were shut and his chest slowly heaved up and down.

       "Supernatural or not," Deaton was finishing dressing Blake's wounds. "He wouldn't have made it if you didn't come to me."

      Deaton expertly pulled the IV out of Piper's arm. She took in a deep breath as drops of her blood hit the floor. The veterinarian turned to his table and grabbed more bandages. He wrapped them around Piper's arm before turning to Blake.

      "He'll be okay now, right?" Philip's eyebrows furrowed.

       Deaton looked at Blake. His eyes were closed, but now they weren't squinting in pain. Deaton had slipped a different liquid into Blake's IV. It was clear and steadied his breathing.

       "For now," Deaton replied. "He'll just need some rest."

      I turned to Brett. The bruises and cuts along his jaw, neck, and chest were beginning to fade. The entire situation gave me deja vu. It felt exactly like the time Brett had been cut with a wolfsbane knife. That night, Brett had almost died, but he survived just like I knew Blake would.

       Piper slid her hand into Blake's as the four of us stood around the table. Deaton was now cleaning his equipment.

       "That couldn't have been a werewolf, could it?" I asked. The beast didn't have a human look to it, like Brett and the other werewolves I had seen.

        "I don't think so," Brett leaned on the table. "Usually we have a different scent than animals. This one didn't smell like one of us."

        "That means we don't have to worry about the bite," Piper looked up from Blake. "Not everyone survives it."

       Brett looked up at the mention of that, his features turned to a shocked curiosity.

       "Basically everything's on the internet," Piper explained to Brett. The Clearson twins knew the ends and outs of the supernatural world almost as well as a supernatural.  

        Brett nodded as Deaton turned back from his shiny tools.

       "He'll be fine here overnight," Deaton motioned to Blake. "You four should go home. I gave him something that'll keep him out until morning."

       "We can't leave him," I didn't move. But, at the same time, my phone went off. My mom was calling me. I turned and answered the phone as Piper began to argue with Deaton.

      "Hello?" I stepped into the hallway.

      "Are you still at the hospital?" My mother asked.

       "Yes, Blake's fine. Tell aunt Paige and Uncle Tripp not to worry. He doesn't even need crutches. Turns out sprains just hurt a lot."

       "Oh, well it's getting late. Do I need to come pick you up?" My mom responded.

       "No, no, we're almost done." I hastily replied. "Go ahead to bed. Blake's fine, nothing to worry about."

       "Okay, everyone's mostly in bed, oh there's Charlotte. Let me go tuck her in. I'll see you in the morning, I guess. Goodnight," My mom hung up the phone and I slipped back into the room.

     Brett was by the door, " I need to go check on Lori."

     I nodded. My mother had not said anything about Brett's sister.

     "I'll drive you," Philip hopped away from his sister. "Piper, you sure you won't come home with me?"

    "Someone needs to stay with him," Piper didn't look up.

     "Ill stay, he's my cousin," I reasoned, knowing my parents probably wouldn't notice.

      "No, you've had plenty of late nights, let me have this one." Piper collapsed into a metal chair. "Philip'll come get us both early in the morning, before anyone's up or my dad gets off his shift."

     "I will?" Philip crossed his arms.

     "Yes," Piper decided for her brother. "You three go home, I'll be fine."

      Brett nodded and walked out with Philip saying he'd see his sister early the next morning.

      "You're the best," I smiled as I quickly grasped onto Blake's hand. He now looked peaceful.

       "I know," Piper cocked a crooked and tired smile.

      I hugged her before rushing out of the room to catch up with the boys. They were already heading towards the land cruiser. I wrapped my blanket around me tighter. It was cold and the flip flops I had grabbed didn't shield my feet from the ice in the parking lot.

     Brett hopped in first and filled the backseat as I sat shotgun next to Philip. He started the car and jerked backwards. I gripped onto the ceiling as we shot out of the vet's office parking lot.

   We drove in silence for a minute before Philip spoke as he ran a red light.

    "So, there's wolves in Beacon Hills now," Philip's words drifted through the dark vehicle.

      "Or something else," I added. Whatever had attacked Blake might not have been a werewolf, but it definitely wasn't mundane.

______________

Sorry for the late update! Moving is hell, I figured out... So, my schedule is all wacked up now. This is a chapter on the shorter side, which I have noticed that I do write really short chapters now. I've been trying to work on that. Also, I want to edit this book, but I sadly don't have the time... So if you're interested in editing at all, hit me up!

What do you think attacked Blake?

XX Grace