Chapter Five | I'm Crazy Or You're Crazy

Voices. They surround me in the blackness. My conscious is slowly rising to the surface as my eyelids flutter open, only to quickly close again, because of the blinding lights. I try opening my eyes slowly to grow accustom to the brightness. Sitting up, I feel a sudden pain in my head, grabbing my throbbing head, I scan my surroundings seeing white everything thing. I must be in the infirmary.

Squinting around the room I see my family staring at me intently, their mouths constantly moving, but I can't hear a word they're saying.

"Wha-what am I doing here?" My last memories are fuzzy, but I remember being at a party, not a hospital. Seeing that I am in distress, my mother sits on the side of the bed and gives me a reassuring hug.

"Honey, you blacked out" My mother continues hesitantly "...Two days ago."

What? Two days ago? My mother proceeds with the story of how they received a phone call in the middle of monday night after a boy (Brett, but my parents don't know that), carried an unconscious me to the nurse station, I had a huge bite mark on my neck, but they think that was just make up (considering my appearance that night). Because when they cleaned me up there was nothing there.

Memories of the demon beast come rushing back to me, I was bitten. But that wasn't real, was it? It was from drinking, right? My mother continues to explain how they rushed home immediately and had just arrived. She kept talking, but I'm not listening, my attention is focused on the individual who had entered the room. Gingerly, Brett shuffles over to my family.

Seeing that I'm not paying attention, my mother, father, and sister follow my gaze. Brett put on his showy smile seeing that he was under the spotlight once more. I sit up, grabbing my throbbing head to steady the dizzying room as I introduce him to my inquisitive relations.

"Um, this is uh, Brett."

"Brett, Brett Talbot?" My father suddenly bows up. "The one who you snuck away with after the lacrosse game."

Crap. I suddenly stand up a little too quickly causing the room to spin around in circles.

"Dad, dad. It's not like that." Gaining my balance I scramble over to my father who was giving Brett the death glare, who I can see is clenching his fist. I've got to get him out of here, now!

"Then what is it like, Caroline Elizabeth?" My father retorts, using my middle name which means I'm in heavy clump right now. "First we get a call saying you're missing, then we find out that you've been unconscious for two days with traces of alcohol in your system. I don't want to get another call saying you're on drugs or pregnant."

My parents have had way too long to think about this. I decide, easing my way over to an extremely uncomfortable and slightly enraged Brett.

"Andrew, calm down. Let her explain first." My mother cautions my father.

Taking Brett's arm, " I will explain everything later! I promise, but uh first I have to check up on something." I pull Brett through the the rows of beds spilling out the infirmary doors into a quiet hallway.

"I can see your dad really likes me." Brett leans against the cream wall.

"That's not the words I'd use." My head is pounding so loud I can barely think as I lean against the wall too, sliding down I notice I'm still in my white dress, dulled with random neon colored stains. I must look ridiculous.

"So, um. Let's not let you have any booze next time." Brett fills the eery silence.

"Yeah, There was this uh monster that uh looked um kinda like you, in you know your-" I stumble over my words "-uh wolf form."