Chapter 35 | Wanted

Brett showered the glass tower with bubbling booze as everyone around him cheered. More bottles were popped and it rained champagne showers. I ran up to Brett, my cheeks flushed with excitement. He gulped out of the bottle, a little alcohol wasn't going to dull his senses whatsoever, but I was still skeptical that it would affect my own supernatural abilities. Instead of reaching for the glass Brett was offering me, I grabbed onto his outstretched hand and pulled him into me.

The glitter along his toned chest instantly transferred onto the bare skin on my shoulders, rubbing our scents together. He grinned down at me.

"You look great," Brett breathed through a heavy smile.

I felt my heartbeat rise and I knew he did too. In response, I leaned up and gently kissed Brett on the lips. He smirked into the kiss and I felt his arms wrap around me. We grasped each other tightly. "Remember, whatever happens, I won't let them hurt you." Brett pulled back to look into my eyes, "They'll never touch you again."

I nodded, my cheeks reddened with the reassurance. Brett didn't seem to fear the Mare, even after Chase explain that they were basically phantom creatures and were virtually impossible to kill. Brett's reasoning was that we didn't need to kill them, only trap them.
We were gonna trap them with Mountain Ash, according to Chase and Brett there was nothing stronger to trap the supernatural. I was uncertain, but that came from my previous experience. The strobing lights of the glittery revelry smashed into my vision and ripping open a memory I still dreamed about at night. The neon paint, the shadowy horses...The demonic Brett.

I shuddered away the vision in my mind and focused on the real, alive Brett Talbot in front of me. He repeated his question that I had been too lost in the memory to hear the first time: "Do you want to dance?"

Shaking off the chills from the rave that turned me into the siren creature I was morphing into, I took both of Brett's hands and nodded. I gripped onto his calluosed hands and yanked him into the throes of electronic music and overly glittery teenagers. We danced heavily, moving our bodies so close together that our limbs were indistinguishable from each other in the strobing lights. I wished this moment was enough to make me forget about everything. It was almost enough. The smell of alcohol on Brett's breath distracted me from keeping tabs on Chase's whereabouts. I shoved away the thought of him lining the perimeter with dusty mountain ash alongside Piper and Philip Clearson.

Brett moved his hands up and down my body, I was completely sober but the feeling made me lightheaded. I had not felt his touch like this in so long and I wondered if it only came about when he was drunk. It felt good, really damn good.

I slung my arms around his supple shoulders, moving my body into his. Our lips touched again, softly and hungrily reaching for each other. The softest moan was pressed against my wet lips before Brett pulled away.

"I want you," Brett breathed. His heartbeat was aching in my ears. "I want you so badly. So badly."