Chapter Twelve | Ready... Set...Steal!

^listen to the song above while reading if ya want^

I didn't pull away as Brett began to kiss me deeper, a hunger slipping through his skin. It was the first time I felt as if nothing else matter except this moment. No mare, no dead friends, no supernatural beasts or killers. But all those things did matter, just not right now.

We were sinking into the couch and failed to notice a door being loudly shut in the front of the Clearson's house. We also didn't notice anyone staring over at us wallering around on the couch.

A loud and intentional cough rang over the room a few times before Brett and I caught on. I instantly pushed Brett off of me to look over at Mr. Clearson and his two children smirking at the two of us sitting extremely embarrassed on the couch.

"Oh, uh, hi, Mr. Clearson," I stammered while trying to catch my breath, an uneasy smile crept onto my lips.

"Caroline, what're you doing here?" Mr. Clearson leaned on the back of the couch as I scooted away from him and Brett, who was smiling like an idiot. "Shouldn't you be in school?"

"Devenford burned down, dad," Piper answered for me. "She wanted to stay with us instead of sleeping out in the wilderness."

"Very funny," Mr. Clearson replied while turning back to me. "Shouldn't you be at your house then?"

"Yeah," I trailed then glanced to the side in Brett's direction. "They really don't like my choice of company."

"You know I have to call them," Mr. Clearson pushed off from the couch and moved towards the kitchen.

"Dad, please don't," Piper pleaded while shuffling towards her dad.

"Mr. Clearson, please just this once, they can't know," I begged while jumping off the couch.

"Do I wanna know why they can't know?" Mr. Clearson said as he rummaged through a pastry gift basket sprawled across their white granite counter tops.

"Dad," Piper placed a hand onto her father's, stopping a cream cheese Danish from being consumed. "I told you Beacon Hills was a weird place and now Caire is a part of it too."

"Uh-huh," Mr. Clearson snickered at the seriousness of his daughter while grabbing a muffin. "I'm going to bed."

"Sweet dreams," Philip called after his father who had exited the kitchen, leaving the four teenagers.

"I thought I told you two to hide," Piper hopped onto the counter, grabbing a banana.

"Yeah, we kinda lost track of time," I responded as I reached for a chocolate chip muffin. "Where'd this basket come from?"

"Lost track of time, eh?" Piper sneered.

But Philip stepped in and answered about the basket, "First thing ladies do when they hear our dad, a doctor, is recently single is give him something for the poor children. I'm not complaining."

Philip stuffed a whole croissant into his mouth.

I smiled crookedly while watching the two siblings stuff their faces. Feeling Brett slip his hand into mine, I involuntarily stiffened. There wasn't a whole lot of experience for me in the whole girlfriend boyfriend department and I had no idea what to do, even after the two of us had just made out on a couch.

Letting Brett hold my hand as we stood at the kitchen's island, I tried my best to focus on something else besides our physical contact that wasn't a result of almost being killed. It felt nice, like really nice. But I couldn't shake a chill from me as the four of us ravaged through the pastries and fruit from the gift basket.