Chapter Eleven | Nowhere to Go

Memories of Brett explaining to me about humans who hunted the supernatural came flooding back to me as the leather clad men and women aimed their weapons. Brett tackled me to the grass as a slew of arrows stormed our way. We both crawled away from the hunters, towards the brick fence that connected the main gates of Devenford Prep.

Brett dragged me into the bushes that skirted around the property as his eyes began to glow like gold coins. Gunshots resounded over head as arrows plunged into the thick wall above us.

"We have to get over!" Brett yelled through gritted teeth as his voice became deep and coarse.

He didn't wait for a response, instead Brett gripped my figure and thrusted me over the brick wall so fast I was tumbling over the other side before my mind even registered I was being touched.

I fell to the ground, trying my best to roll away from the wall. A few seconds later, Brett Talbot was besides me, already pulling me away from the noise and towards the country road. Brake screeching could be heard as Brett and I booked it from Devenford. We were running just inside the tree line as the two black vans from earlier screamed behind us, already hot on our heels.

The two of us weaved into the woods, making the vans stop as the hunters exited, ready to track us on foot. By this time I couldn't feel the cramps in my stomach and I hardly had time to notice that my slippers had disappeared. It felt like we'd been running for ages but my mind told me it'd only been some minutes.

I fought to keep going, but my legs betrayed me, I began to slow down as the hunters closed in. Brett and I stumbled into a clearing lit up by the crescent moon above.

Bending over to my knees, I stopped, almost careening to the ground as my adrenalin subsided. Brett yanked me back up, "Come on! They'll catch us!"

But it was too late.

A myriad of individuals all dressed in shades of black slinked out of the woods, surrounding us. I clutched onto Brett's arm instinctively as an animalistic growl escaped his bluing lips.

"Ah, an easy few million dollars," A dark haired man chuckled as he held in one hand, a matte black crossbow and in the other, a worn piece of paper.

"The sun, the moon, the truth," Brett chanted as he gripped my arm, looking into my eyes one last time before crouching down. I readied myself for the blows as I had no way to defend myself, I relied on a teenage werewolf to save me every time.

Brett's figure contorted, turning into the beast he worked so hard to control. It felt like a staring contest for a couple a seconds as Brett gnarled, but the dark haired hunter suddenly turned from werewolf Brett and yelled to his crew as the hunters abruptly began looking in the trees before scattering and fleeing back to their vans.

"What?" I glanced around, no hunter was left.

"Something scared them off," Brett had changed back into his usual blue eyed self as we moved towards each other.

"I'm guessing we don't want to find out what could scare a werewolf hunter," I said, but Brett didn't respond, instead he grasped my hand and we started racing through the woods, again.

We ran for a few solid minutes before slowing down to walk along the desolate backwoods road. The two of us kept the pace brisk as the night became chillier.

"Your lips are blue," Brett turned towards me, we were already closely huddled together as the wind began to whip around us, he then looked down at my feet, which were completely bare.

Brett's eyes lingered on my lips before he stopped and crouched down.

" What're you doing?" I asked as I furiously held my hands to my lips, trying to blow warm air.