Chapter Thirteen | Dust and Metal

Turning out of Thistlewood Lane, Brett yanked the steering wheel right and zoomed into the slow late afternoon traffic.

        "So, this Deaton guy is vet," I started, staring at the trees whistling past. "That means he must be easy to find."

        "I actually know exactly where he is," Brett stated, his eyes glancing every way as we eased to a stop at a crowded red light.

      We were getting more and more stares as we idled at the intersection, but the attention was cut short from us as a blue jeep flew through the intersection, completely ignoring the traffic signals.

      "Idiots," Brett uttered under his breath, although a smile crept onto his face because we both knew he would've done the same thing. 

     The light turned green and we took off, the engine roaring as Brett pressed the gas a little too quickly. We passed through the small and mostly commercial district of Beacon Hills as we headed towards wherever Deaton held his practice.

      "Are we gonna hit every single red light?" Brett shook his head, his thumbs jittering on the steering wheel.

      We'd entered the industrial part of town as we sat at the empty intersection. I could see the sign for Beacon Hills Animal Clinic between two buildings when the light finally turned. Brett floored it, tired of being at the will of traffic lights.

      A smile flashed on both of our faces as we enjoyed the sound of the engine hum as the mustang glided towards the clinic.

Brett was turning into the parking lot when a glint of metal caught my eye.

     I was seconds too late as I peered out of the window to see a semi screaming into the side of Mr. Clearson's car and pushing us into the road.

       It was the one of the worst sights I could dream of as the semi crashed into us, crushing my side of the car. I felt nothing as my head slammed into the dashboard, my body going into shock instantly. After hitting the dashboard, I was slung back into my seat as Brett and I swung into oncoming traffic.

     The initial impact from the cargo truck flipped my side up, and tossed the us and the car into a dizzying set of rolls. Over and over we tumbled, until another vehicle slammed into us, almost sliding through the front windshield. Our seat buckles did everything they could to keep us inside the car as we skidded to a stop, the mustang in pieces.

     A scream woke me as pain shot through my body and didn't deplete, it was all over desperately vivid. I was now breathing heavily as my eyes pulled open, seeing the inside of the car through the glass that was splattered everywhere, covering the entire interior.

        Blood blurred my vision, but I fought against my mind to keep my eyes open. Even every fiber of my being was telling me to stay still, to stop fighting. I was trapped inside the car and wedged in tightly between the crushed metal. Where the windshield had looked out at open sky earlier,  there was now a nose of a car that held both Brett and me captive.

         "Oh gods, no," A huge chunk of glass stuck out of Brett's right side, he was unconscious, blood dripping down his chest.

       "It's gonna be okay," I heard a voice speak. Immediately I turned to the speaker, a cry of agony escaping my lips as pain coursed through my neck at the jolt of movement. A middle aged man in a sheriff's uniform spoke to me through the broken window. "We're gonna get you out."

    Tears slithered down my face. My neck was the only thing that could move no matter how terribly it hurt. I swiveled back to Brett, concentrating hard to hear a heartbeat.

    "He's dead," I began to convulse, glass showering everywhere while I tried to push the chunks car from my body.
    "Shh, stay still," The officer tried to reassure me. "They're coming now, hold on tight."

    The sheriff whipped back as another scream pierced the air. I focused my sight beyond the officer, only being able to see legs accumulate outside of the wreckage. A shuffling of bodies came in front of our car as a woman cried over and over someone's name as the legs disappeared.

    A group of voices rushed towards me while the sheriff was guided away, replaced by men with huge metal objects. I knew they were going to try and cut me out, but I looked down at my situation. Blood was flowing from places where glass shot into my body and my hands and feet were stuck betweens globs of metal. There was no way on earth I was making it out of this.

    "Pulvis es et in pulverem reverteris," I remembered the phrase my grandparents said so often, Dust thou art, and unto dust you shall return.

•••••••

An extra chapter this week in honor of the New Year!🎉
I've been rewatching the whole Teen Wolf series(which is my big New Years plan), and fallen more in love with the show, which begged the question of which season and characters were my favorite. But I can't decide and think all of the characters have aspects that are far different from others and make the show so unique. But one thing I can say for sure is: BRING BACK DEREK ! *cries because he isn't in season 6 either*

May 2017 be your best year yet!
xx grace