Chapter Twenty-Seven | Home for the Holidays

"I don't really think my dad's gonna be okay with this," Piper Clearson said while we leaned on her land cruiser.

It was the first of Winter break and the school was packed with shining cars picking up students. Piper had pulled off into the grass around the front buildings. It was the only place she and Philip could find a place to park.

"Oh, come on," I whined while looking at all the luggage being loaded into various luxury cars. "You're dad is chill about like everything."

"Yeah, true," Philip wringed his hands. Both he and Piper were jittering with nervous energy. "It's not gonna be that bad, Pipes. It's a couple of weeks. Remember the time you let that band stay with us for like two weeks? Dad was fine and we didn't even know the dudes."

"I know," Piper exhaled. "It's just that this is the first Christmas without mom."

"Oh," I replied. "Were you guys supposed to go to her house?"

Philip coughed and shook his head in mock hilarity, "She's in the Caribbean with her new boyfriend."

"Yeah, I don't think this whole domesticated life was for her," Piper tried to smirk. "You know what? It's totally fine Brett and his sis are coming, it'll be fun. More people to help bake cookies, you know I love cookies."

All three of us snickered, knowing Piper burns everything. I turned away from the twins and saw Sadie walking towards a sleek black sedan. She waved and handed off her luggage to the driver before walking over.

"Off to Brazil," Sadie hugged me tight and turned to see Piper and Philip. "Oh, hey. How're you guys."
"We're good, Alveraz," Piper crossed her arms and faked a smile. "Same old routine I see."

"Yeah, every year," Sadie smiled. "Well, I gotta go. Nice seeing you two."
Philip and Piper waved sarcastically.

"I'm guessing you guys aren't a fan of Devenford anymore?" I fished gloves at of my pockets.

"Yeah, the prep vibes don't fit with our newfound punk selves," one side of Philip's lip slid up his cheek.

Another Devenford student came up to the Clearson's car. Brett and Lori Talbot came with a multitude of canvas duffles.

I hugged Brett while Philip went to grab all of their bags.

"Nah, it's cool, I've got it," Philip balanced the Talbot's luggage and threw it into the back.

"Okay," Piper clapped her hands together. "Looks like we've got everyone. Time to begin your best winter break ever, with your host, Piper!"

Philip skipped to the driver's side and started the engine that whined before actually starting. Piper slammed open her door and pulled back the seat to let Brett and Lori in the car. I waved as Brett and Lori settled among their luggage and candy wrappers.

"I'll call you later," Piper saluted and almost shut the door all the way before Philip screeched forward.

They left skid marks on the grass as they entered the slow traffic that was leaving Devenford. I smiled to myself while I waited for my family with my own luggage.

"Stay in practice over the breaks," Chase came and stood next to me.

"Very funny, I'll be sure to practice every day, teacher," I responded as Chase walked past me and my luggage to a family with sparkling blond hair.

He smirked and opened the back of his family's white G Wagon. A woman with shiny jewels waved in my direction before embracing Chase. I guessed she was his mother. A man with dark sunglasses and a creamy linen suit grasped Chase's shoulder before they all filtered into the car and drove away.