Chapter One Part II | The Horchata Mishap

I make my way towards the front of the shop to the back of the line that is almost out the glass door. In front of me is a guy and a girl that are obviously on a date, by the way they're talking nervously to each other. I notice someone familiar coming through the door. Recognizing Brett I quickly turn around, groaning internally.

"Be cool" I whisper to myself. 

"Excuse me?" I hear from behind after realizing I said the last bit aloud. Turning around I face Brett Talbot, who is of course wearing an athletic outfit. 

"Oh hi, yeah sorry." Is my ingenious reply. 

"Hey you're Sadie's friend, Caroline, right?" He nodded towards Sadie, who was sitting in the back of the shop. I wouldn't say his tone was friendly but it wasn't harsh either. 

"Uh, yeah. I am." Real smooth, Caroline. 

"I've seen you around a lot."
     Before I could reply to his comment, I was asked for my order.
"O-Yes can I please get two mochas, a vanilla latte, and an iced sweetened Horchata decaf. Thanks." Handing over my silver debit card I turned to reply to Brett, but he was giving his order too to another employee. The girl who looked like a sophomore smiled at me as she handed me back my card.

     The coffee shop was still crowded but I managed to find a place next to the bar, while I waited for the drinks.  Soon my drinks were called, I placed the three lattes in a carrier and waited for my Horchata.

     "Two Iced Horchata decaf." The barista called. I walked to the bar, weirdly enough Brett was already there and had grabbed one and sauntered to the rear of the cafe, where the lacrosse team and Sadie's clique had congregated.
I walked over to my table and passed the two mochas to Brooke and Sera, and handed Sade her vanilla latte. 

"Well, that took forever." I collapsed in my seat, listening to the girls conversation.

"-I'm going to the game Friday night. Caro, you should too! I heard it's going to be intense." Sadie nudged me as I took a sip of my Horchata. They really were skimpy with the sweetener. I think to myself as I nod 'yes' to Sadie's excitement.

"Why does your cup say Brett?" Brooke motions towards my iced drink.

"What?" I say as I notice swirly script spelling Brett's name. "That's why it isn't sweetened." I realize, explaining to the three that Brett ordered the same thing as me.

"That is totally fate!" Brooke squeals.

 "Now you definitely have to go to the lax game." Sera pipes in as my face turns the color of a ripe tomato. My friends were probably the only people in the world who would think that ordering the same drink as cute boy means that fate decided our relationship already.

"Shhhh" I whisper as the table laughs at my obvious displeasure in this conversation topic.

"Awe, Lil Caroline has a crush." Sadie teases as I hit her with the drink carrier.

"A crush? Seriously, are we in middle school again?" I laugh.

"What's going on here?" The same guy from last night with black hair turns around getting the attention of his whole booth... Which Brett happens to be sitting at.

I give Sadie a if you say anything I will kill you in your sleep look as she replies,

"Oh nothing Chip, we were just remembering the time Caroline fell out of an eight man sweep. "

     I duck my head in faux embarrassment as Sadie reenacts the whole story of the time when it was in the middle of winter and I was the only crew member to fall out of the boat after almost killing someone with my oar.
After about an hour more of socializing, we head our separate ways doing normal weekend activities. Brooke heads for the lake where the sailing team tryouts take place, Sera heads to the barn to check up on her most prized possession, her horse, The Queen's Jewel (or Jewel for short). And Sadie and I head to the school's gym to work out on the rowing machines there in preparation for Crew tryouts next weekend.

Copyright 2015

NOTE:

* An 8 man sweep is a type of boat used in competitive rowing.

** Lax is a slang word for lacrosse.