Chapter Twenty | Keep Your Enemies Closer

The school day went by without any more sightings of Chase. Before I knew it, I was being dragged down the stairs of the upper school.

Sadie hadn't left my side the entire day and still held my arm tightly.

"How was your first day back?" Sadie asked as we walked along a brick path that circled the campus.

"It was good," I smiled. "It's good to be back."

"I feel as if we haven't talked in forever," Sadie let go of my arm and pulled out her phone.

"Me too," I replied, not wanting to mention that everyone was acting as if I'd been gone for an entire year.

I stopped abruptly after seeing where Sadie was leading me.

"Caire, relax," Sadie grabbed my hand and yanked me forward towards the bleachers that bordered the lacrosse field. "Everyone knows you two are together, there's nothing to hide."

"I don't know, it just feels weird," I followed her to the bleachers.

"No, it's not," Sadie laughed as we stepped up to the higher seats. "I come here all the time."

I followed Sadie's gaze to number forty nine, Chip Willemsen.

"Oh, I see," I chuckled as we both plopped down and grabbed text books we pretended to read.

"We got close after you left," Sadie explained while she waved as Chip swiveled towards our perch in the bleachers.

"I'm glad," I kicked my feet up. My eyes wandered through the lacrosse players until I saw Brett gearing up. A huge smiled slid on my face, but Brett didn't look toward us.

He was caught in conversation with another player who was talking animatedly with his hands. Brett and the player began laughing before Brett looked at his watch and yelled for the other players. Devenford's captain called for a huddle, and then the coach's whistle pierced the air and practice began.

The lacrosse player who had made Brett laugh so hard turned around. I inhaled sharply as Chase Westwood placed his white helmet over his perfect hair.

"No way," I crossed my arms while Sadie and I watched the players disperse over the field. "When did Chase get on the lacrosse team?"

"Oh, while you were gone they held a special tryout for him since he missed the original one because he's new," Sadie turned to me. "Why?"
"No, no reason," I stumbled and turned to my biology book, trying to focus on the tiny script while my mind grew foggy.

"Anyways," Sadie still spoke. "I didn't know if you saw the posters for the winter formal that are all over school."

"The dance?"

"Yeah," Sadie replied. "I'm going with Chip and thought we could all go as a group, you know."

"Oh, yeah," I pushed Chase out of my mind. "Like you two, Brett and me?"

"And Brookey of course, even though I'm not sure she has a date yet," Sadie's thumbed typed fast across her smartphone.

"That sounds perfect," I smiled, ignoring Chase whip across the field.

As soon as practice ended, I flew down the bleachers and towards a sweaty Brett Talbot.

"Oh, hey," Brett smiled as I approached him.

"Hey," I began to walk with him back to his bag.

"What's up?"

"Well, Sadie just told me about the winter formal and since we're a couple now, I thought," I held my hands tightly together as Brett changed shirts. "Wait, we are a couple, right?"

Brett chuckled as I slipped all over my words, "Last time I checked we were together."

"Oh, of course," I could feel my cheeks burning. "So, you'll go with me to the dance?"

"Yeah, of course," Brett grabbed his lacrosse bag and threw it over his shoulder before he kissed my blushing cheek. "You're cute when you're embarrassed."

I nodded as Brett walked away towards the other lacrosse team members. Sadie skipped away from Chip and landed in step next to me.

"So, Brooke's at library, I figured we'd head there since you have a little catching up to do," Sadie began, texting avidly on her phone.

"Yeah, that sounds good," I was still staring at Brett's retreding figure. But, then I stopped walking as I saw who he was talking to. He and Chase were talking like old pals as they headed to the boys dorm.

"What?" Sadie turned back to see why I had stopped.

"Why in the world would Brett be talking to Chase like they were friends?" I crossed my arms as the lacrosse players disappeared.

"Maybe Brett got over him taking you to the carnival?" Sadie offered.

"No, no, it's not just that," I exhaled deeply. "While we were gone, we saw Chase. He was at the hospital and gave us a ride."

"So?"

"It wasn't just a ride, it was some sort of crazed rave on wheels," I started. "That night, he wasn't the Chase I'd seen on campus." I paused, not really knowing how to relay the events to Sadie.

Sadie stepped closer, "What do you mean?"

"I don't know, it's just that that night, he was forceful and I went along with it."

"Forceful?" Sadie's glossy brown eyes narrowed. "Caire, what are you saying?"

"He kissed me, like really kissed me, his hands were everywhere," My eyes went to the ground. "His eyes were so mesmerizing and red. That's why I find it odd that Brett would even speak to him. He dragged Chase off of me that night."

"Oh my God," Sadie's hand went to her mouth.

"You can't tell anyone," My voice was pleading. "They would think I was crazy if I told them his eyes were glowing red."

"I would never," Sadie hooked her arm in mine. "But, I think some research on this Chase Westwood is in order." 

-----------------------------------

Second update this week! I hope everyone enjoys this relatively short chapter. It's getting pretty fun to write now that Caro and Brett are back at Devenford. Things are definitely heating up. 

Thanks so much for getting this book to 17K! I love my readers sm!!

read, vote, comment! <3

xxgrace