Chapter Two | Lacrosse is a Deadly Game

The first week of high school went reasonably smooth. I only saw Brett in the hallway a few times. Sadie, who is a big sports fan, kept talking about the lacrosse scrimmage. Brooke became instant BFFS with Sera. And I was extremely nervous about the whole lacrosse game and what Brett might do to Liam, who was playing for the opposing team, Beacon Hills. Brett resembled the kind of person who could and would do anything for his loyalties.

* Riinng Rinnng *
I'm woken by the sound of my phone screeching. Rolling over trying to get out of the mess of white pillows, reaching for my phone, I see the caller ID 'MOM' .

"Mom, why are you calling so early?" I peek over to see Brooke still fast asleep.

"Caroline! There's been a family emergency down in Southern California. Cousin Blake has cancer." She replied in a somber tone.

"What? He's only 17. Did they find it too late? Is he gonna die?" I ask, starting to panic.

"I'm sorry, hun, but Blake's cancer...it's terminal." 

My family has always been extremely close so I knew it would be devastating for my family to lose a member so young. Blake was so full of life the last time I saw him six months or so ago. He was always so laid back, always waiting to catch another wave. The reason I picked up long boarding was because of him. And now we could lose him?

"Ok. When are we leaving?" I inquire, trying to slow my heavy breaths. 

" We are on our way down there now, babe... I'm sorry you couldn't come." My mom answered guiltily.

For a moment, I feel betrayed. They had just left me here? Why?
My mother filled the awkward silence with petty excuses and updates, until I saw Brooke starting to move.

"I need to go mom. Tell Blake I miss him... And that I love him!" I say ,and then I end the call without waiting for a response.

Brooke is now up and trying to move around. We exchange morning greetings and I head to the bathroom first, since it is my turn today.

Well this is the start to a horrible Friday.

I walk through the halls of the Upper School building going through the motions barely hearing Sadie's constant chatter.

"-Since we're going to the game we get to leave class early!" She chirped, as we enter our last class of the day, Biology.

Right at 2:45, Sadie and I spring from our chairs rushing back to our dorms to get changed. Sadie rushes down the hall as I sprint up the stairs. Her dorm is on level one, whereas mine is on the second level.

Fifteen minutes later, my hair is perfectly straightened. I decided on a Hunter green cable knit sweater paired with tan corduroy skinnies and dark brown riding boots. The green would perfectly match our school colors.

Sadie is waiting at the door of our common room, also wearing our school colors in a hunter green wool skater skirt, black sweater, black tights, and light brown ankle boots. Her hair that reaches the small of her back is in loose curls.

"Ready?" She asks as we both make sure each others outfits are acceptable. We both pass the test, and walk with an excited gate towards the front of the school.

There's only a couple students besides the actual team members going, we notice walking up to the travel bus. Sadie promptly moves through the crowd towards the back of the bus where the guy Chip is sitting, with... Of course, Brett. We shuffled to the seat right behind them.