Chapter Eight | Horses of Horror

"Wait, you're going with Chase?" Brooke asks as she clips pearl earrings onto her ear lobes.

"Yeah, I told you Brett and I had a fight. And, Chase asked me, he's nice." I reply, pulling a quilted vest over my cream cable knit sweater.

Saturday had come in a blink of an eye; the whole week had gone by extremely ordinary, besides my constant avoidance of an ever present, Brett Talbot.

"Come on, Sadie and Sera are already there. I'm supposed to meet Chace near the food or something." I remember as Brooke grabs her cross body and we both scurry out of the dorm. We both chatter excitedly as we skip down the stairs, walking into the crowded hall below, we both push through the wooden door, meeting with the Fall twilight.

We walk with a crowd of shivering teens as we enter the Festival that's set up on the Front Lawns. Stepping through the entrance the smell of carnival foods fill my nostrils as Brooke and I look around for any familiar faces. Glancing over at the cotton candy booth I recognize a mop of messy sun-bleached hair, I yell,

"Blake, Blake!" I grab Brooke's arm and make my way to my cousin, who is stuffing pink candy floss into his mouth.

"Oh, hey Carowine." Blake swallows his last piece of the spun sugar.

"What're you doing here? Is the rest of the family here?" I look around, automatically looking for some of my family members.

"Nah, it's just me. Your mom told me about this thingy and since I don't really have a lot to do I thought I'd come crash it."

"I'm glad you came!" I give him a tight side hug, "Oh, this is my roomie, Brooke."

"Hi," is all Brooke says, a blush creeping over her perfect skin.

"Hey." Blake nods at her, giving her a crooked smile.

"So, come on. Let's go find some of my other friends." I motion for Blake and Brooke to follow me in the direction towards the carnival games and the small Ferris wheel.

I walk slightly in front of Blake and Brooke, who have been steady talking since they met, when I notice Chase at the funnel cake booth, casually standing with his hands stuffed into his tan corduroy pants. Bounding over to him, I quickly introduce both Blake and Brooke. The four of us walk around, still looking for Sadie and Sera.

We finally spot Sadie and Sera at the entrance to the 'Haunted House', along with a few others, Chip, and I stop in my tracks as I see Brett's back, talking with the group.

"Uh, I don't really like Haunted Houses." I state, while receiving inquisitive stares from both Brooke and Blake, who both know I love everything Halloween.

"That's fine, we can do something else," Chase insists, instantly making me feel better.

"Oh okay, well you two have fun, come on, Blake." Brooke grabs Blake's muscled arm and prances over to the cluster of talking teens. We watch them join the group before turning away, I see Brett and Blake embrace in a "bro hug" like they've known each other their whole lives.

"So, what do you want to do?" Chase inquires as we walk around the small crowded fair.

"Um, we can go on the Ferris wheel?" I nod towards the Ferris wheel that was conveniently located next to the 'Haunted House'. Chase reaches for my hand as he leads us to the long line in front of the constantly spinning wheel. I notice he doesn't let go of my hand as we stand together in line.

"Are you having fun?" I wonder as we move up in line, only a couple more spaces until we are at the front.

"Yeah. Are you?" Chase questions back, while swinging our intertwined hands back and forth.