Chapter Seven | A Visit and A Visiter

Brett gave Blake a set of dizzying directions, which leads us to Lookout Point. I tell Blake to pick us up in an about an hour or so as I slide out of the passenger seat. Watching his car barrel out of sight, we start walking through the foliage of dead trees. After about half an hour or so, we come to a clearing scattered with rocks and dead leaves.

For the first time in my life, I smell an emotion in the air. Taking in a breathe of the chilly fall air I notice a tinge of fear. I can't quite figure out how I recognize it as fear, but that's exactly how my brain processes it. I pull my camel colored pea coat closer to my body, "Um there's nobody here."

"Shh, you just can't see them yet." Brett says, sniffing the air in a 'were wolfie way'. Looking around, I now see figures coming from the afternoon shadows. An elderly woman from asian descent appears right in front of us.

"Satomi, we've come to talk." Brett steps forward in a sign of respect.

"I see you have brought the Sirena." Satomi looks past Brett, staring straight into my eyes.

"Uh, my name is Caroline." I speak squeakily.

"Come" Satomi glides to the other part of the clearing, sitting down on a large boulder. We follow her, awkwardly standing in front of the rock. "The deadpool is killing more and more. This is not the time to be discovering new creatures."

"What do you mean?" Brett ask.

"You," Satomi turns her attention to my nervous figure, "have been seeing things. You haven't figured it out yet, though."

"I'm not sure what you're talking about." I stutter.

"That beast who bit you at the Rave, it turned you into something.You've been starting to change slowly, your powers have not been revealed yet, but they will be."

"What?" Was all I can articulate.

"That was a hallucination." Brett states, looking over at me for reassurance, but I can only give him a confused stare.

"You know the truth." Satomi stands up from the boulder, walking away from us in the process, signalling the conversation is now over. Brett grabs my hand roughly, pulling me away from the clearing.

We walk through the forest in a rushed pace, Brett drags me by the hand towards the road where Blake had dropped us off earlier. Coming to the edge of the forest where we can both see the the old road dusted with fall leafage.

I stop walking before we get to the road causing Brett to abruptly stop, a look of confused anger flashes across his face.

"Why're we stopping?" Brett huffs, his breath looking like smoke in the twilight.

"Me being something isn't that bad, is it?" I question, bouncing on the balls of my feet. He looks at me, trying to see if anything is different about me, before answering me.

"No, but it's dangerous. I don't want you to have to look over your shoulder the rest of your life."

"But I get supernatural abilities, right?"

"Yeah, I mean you can heal faster, you're stronger, and stuff."

"Wait. You can heal faster?"

"That's what I just said."

"Do you think getting the bite can cure cancer?"

"I mean I've heard of it doing stuff like that."

I start walking towards the road in a daze, Brett grudgingly following behind me. If what Brett says is true, Blake's cancer is nothing. Seeing the road is empty I began pacing back and forth waiting for Blake.