thirty seven

Present.

"So-so you killed someone he knew?" Rose had her head on my chest but raised it to ask a question.

"Not just someone he knew, someone he shared blood with." She was confused but caught on.

"You killed his brother?" I simply nodded to answer her question then she laid her head back down.

-

Past.

Beside me was a broken girl who seemed traumatized. We were speeding down an empty highway while being followed by three vehicles.

"Are we going to die?" It was an absurd question for her to ask but I did not want to answer. I kept my focus on the dark road.

"Go to sleep." I tell her and in the corner of my eye I see her lay her head against the window. My phone vibrated in the cup holder beside me so I picked it up and answered.

"Hello?" I talked first.

"I swear, you're dead." I rolled my eyes at the tone of anger. "Look he was a bad guy and he was going to cause more danger, I was protecting myself."

"You killed my brother! You think I'm going to be calm about this?!" He was filled with rage.

"Just get off my arse and we can solve this." I told him looking into the mirror at the black cars slowing down.

"Fine, tomorrow at noon, my place. Bring the girl." I shook my head even though he was unable to see. "No she stays away."

"Bring the girl or I hunt you down, your call."

"Fine." I surrendered and was hung up on quickly.

I am going to regret this.

-

The ring of a doorbell filled my ears and a hand held mine, out of fear. Elizabeth and I waited until the door swung open and revealed a tall but heafty man.

"I'm here to see.."

"I know who you're here to see." He cut me off, probably annoyed with me already. He stepped back and allowed us to walk in. The atmosphere felt eerie making chills go down my spine. I called out for my friend wondering where he could be.
"He's in the living room." The guard told me from behind us.

We passed under a chandelier in a hall that lead to the sitting area. Before we entered there was a shatter, it was the chandelier.
"Hm it fell like it was suppose to hit you but miss by a few seconds." His voice came from upstairs. We lifted our heads and there he stood on the balcony, wearing a suit and tie, looking sharp for his guests. His black hair was slicked back with gel and his piercings were no where to be seen.

"Welcome." He greeted as he walked down the steps.

"Something's off." I said to myself but Elizabeth heard and hugged on to me tighter. I had promised that I would protect her before we came but she did not seem to completely trust me.

"Sit." He told me and we sat at the same time. He snapped his fingers and in came a woman in a dress that fit to her curves holding a platter with two champange glasses. "Drink?" Elizabeth raised her hand to grab one but I slapped it down.
"We'll take bottled water please." I narrowed my eyes at him knowing there was something in those drinks.

The woman left and hurried back with two bottles. Elizabeth opened hers and took a gulp. I glanced at her then looked back at my friend. "It seems like you're slipping, your tricks are novice." He fixed himself in his seat and smiled.
"I know, I wanted to see if you were still an idiot. From the looks of it you are not."