Chapter 69

Explosive diarrhea! That's the reason Devon was crying hysterically. There's nothing like making love and then having to go clean up gobs of messy shit! It was so bad she needed another bath, but thankfully her temperature was normal. Maybe I had eaten something lately that didn't agree with her. So by the time she actually got settled that night it was after 10:00.
When I got back in our bedroom, Prince was reading the sign language book. "What are you learning baby?" I ask as I get on my pajamas. I look over to see him sign something with several gestures. He pointed to himself, then crossed his arms over his chest, then placed his right hand over his chest, and then make some sort of circular motion with both hands coming together. "What does that mean? I love my...?" I guessed smiling.
"Family." He answered. "See momma look how much you already knew."
I signed back "I love you." He responded by flipping me off. "What is that for?!" I exclaimed.
"I don't know how to ask if you want to fuck so that is the best I got." He chuckled.
"Let's try to just start with things that are appropriate to say to a baby." I suggest, giggling. "I think we may need an actual person and not just a book. Someone who would know what words to learn first..."
"I was thinking the exact same thing. Plus I learn best by being shown. Not by reading how to do it. I mean that's how I learned to play piano. My dad showed me. I've never been able to read music. I learn by watching and practicing."
"I'm a visual learner too." I reply.
"Visual leaner. You and all your educational terms. Makes me feel stupid. You're going to blow me out of the water learning all this sign language stuff." He sighed. "Just be patient with the old guy, ok?"
"Baby that's not true. I actually think you'll learn faster than me. I think you have a better memory for stuff like that. But let's not make it a competition. It's a team effort. We will be able to practice together so that should help both of us." I respond, kissing his cheek as I climbed into bed.
"Well I might be scarce for a few hours the next several days. I'm finding the best speech language pathologist and ASL instructor nearby. Or even force one to move close to us if I need to. Money talks and maybe I can convince one of each to work with us exclusively. I'm getting Diana and Amy to help me make phone calls and research the best that's out there and then you and I can interview them together." He says adamantly.  
"I love that idea baby. Gosh just imagine how other families that don't have the means we do must feel. If we feel this overwhelmed, I can't grasp how they feel when they don't have the luxury to devote all their time to learning or don't have the money to hire specialists..."
"I know momma. That's why once we we get this all figured out, I'm going to invest time and money into helping them. I love your heart baby. You are so selfless." He whispers, pulling me over to his chest.
"Well so are you honey...." I didn't get to finish my thought before Devon's screams come blaring through the monitor speaker. I look at the clock. It hasn't even been an hour since I last went in there. "What's wrong with her momma?" Prince asked, growing concerned. "It's not like her to wake up this often, or this upset."
"I don't know. Her diaper was really bad like maybe her stomach was upset, but she didn't have a fever. She might be having gas pains the way she's kicking those legs." I say while watching her on the video screen.
"Poor baby. What can we do to help?" He asked, curiously.
"Well she's already had two warm baths tonight but I guess I can try a longer one. Maybe move her legs like she's riding a bike to try to help it move along..."
"Ok you do the leg thing while I draw a warm bath for all three of us."
"That's sounds wonderful." I agree, getting up and heading to the nursery. She is in full hysterics by the time I lift her out of the crib and lay her down on a blanket on the floor. "It's ok. Mommy's here sugar. What's wrong? Is it your tummy?" I ask, removing her pajamas and rubbing her belly lightly. "Here let's ride a bike." I take her legs and rotate them like she was pedaling. This only seemed to piss her off more and her cries become louder. I remove her diaper and carry her to our bathroom. "Let's get in some warm water and see if that helps." I whisper as I kiss her temple.
Prince had already undressed and was laying back in the tub, popping up when we entered the bathroom. "Well her lungs definitely work." He teases as she is still screaming her head off. "Hand her to me baby." He instructs, reaching out for her. I carefully put her in his arms and he cradles her on his shoulder. "I may be able to use your pipes one day baby girl." He laughs in her ear. I join them in the inviting tub and get a rag soaked in warm water. "Hold her with her tummy up and place this on it." I tell him. He holds her down low where her backside is submerged in the water and lays the washcloth over her belly. She immediately quiets down and splashes the water by kicking her legs. "You trying to swim away from me?!" Prince teases her. He starts making silly faces at her making me giggle and her coo in delight. "I think she loves daddy as much as mommy does." I say, pulling his legs over me and rubbing his feet. I lean back and close my eyes, continuing to massage his feet. I listen as Prince keeps talking to and playing with Devon in the tub. It was music to my ears. He was a far superior father than I could have ever even imagined.  A few minutes later, I hear bubbles popping under the water. My eyes fly open in surprise and disgust. "Who was it?!"
Prince points at Devon with a smirk. "Her of course. You know just like it was her when she was in your belly."
"So it was you!!!" I accuse.
"So it was you when you were pregnant?!" He laughs. "Yes it was me. I'm trying to demonstrate what she needs to do. That will make your tummy feel better Dev. Give it a try." He urges her.
I roll my eyes and lean back again. It wasn't more than two minutes later before it happened again. "Prince stop!" I moan without even opening my eyes.
"It wasn't...oh shit! Literally! Momma help!!!" He shrieks.
I bolt up and see that Devon has pooped a little bit of yellow liquid into the water and it was floating near Prince. "Take her! I've got to get out. I'm going throw up!" He says between dry heaves.
He made me a jewel of a dad, but he has one of the weakest stomachs!