Chapter 8

The car ride back to Paisley was quiet for the first several minutes as I looked out the window and reflected on the crap Duane said and Prince going off on him. Finally Prince turns off the radio and breaks the silence. He placed his hand on my leg and says "hey momma are you alright? You don't believe any of the things he said, do you?"
"No baby." I reply confidently, but keep my gaze out the window.
"Then why can't you even look at me? Did I do something wrong?" He asked, putting his hand on my chin and turning my face to him. "Did I scare you? You know I would never hit you like that right? No matter how angry I was. I guess I need to remember my breathing techniques even with other people..."
"No he deserved what he got. Probably more. The things he said were disgusting. Turned my stomach so much, in fact, that I threw up a little in the bathroom."
"Oh momma! Are you ok? What the hell did he say?! Wait! No don't tell me or I might turn this car around and be going to jail tonight."
"I'm fine. But I am hungry. Can we stop somewhere? And yeah you don't want to know. He was just being disgusting towards you and me..."
"Where do you want to stop momma? And I'm sorry that happened to you. I have no idea why he went in that room other than he thought if he dogged me out he might have a chance with you or something stupid. But you do know I am not and will not cheat on you right? I love you. I'm addicted to you. I swear I just become more intoxicated everyday. I don't even know how it is possible. And I'm not trying to be vulgar, but I swear the last several times we have had sex your pussy is wetter or tighter or something has changed. And it was plenty wet and tight before but I'm telling you somehow it keeps feeling better."
"It has been feeling more intense for me too lately. I guess we just keep falling more in love and everything becomes deeper and better. I love you so much. Even though I didn't believe a word Duane was saying and I was defending you and our relationship, it literally made my heart sink even thinking about you having a 'side chick' as he called it."
"Side chick?! Wow he was really going the extra mile. I haven't had two women at the same time in years. Not that I want to, but it is not worth it and too much work! My side chick is music. And I'm not even really into that much these days."
"So you love me more than music?"
"Of course I do. You know I can't honestly say I have loved woman, or anyone, more than music before...that's a big deal. We are almost home babe. What sounds good?"
"Ice cream! Chocolate!"
"For dinner baby? I think you need something more of substance..."
"I'm not a child. I can have ice cream for dinner..."
"Fair enough. There really isn't any ice cream places around here. Is it ok if I just run into the store and grab a tub?"
"Yeah that's fine."
He pulls into a grocery store parking lot and starts to get out. "I'll be right back momma. Anything else?"
"Some red peppers..."
"You aren't going to eat those together are you?!"
"No silly! I'm going to make that casserole tomorrow and it calls for peppers. It was the only thing I didn't have."
"Ok. Got it. Stay put." He says, kissing my lips and quickly hopping out of the car. He comes back out less than five minutes later and gets in the car laughing.
"What's so funny?" I ask curiously.
"The checkout girl looked at my purchase and said "oh! Got a pregnant wife at home huh?"
"That's funny! Yeah I guess if I wanted to eat those together it would be a red flag. That's nasty! What did you say to her?"
"I just said 'I sure do!'" He said smiling.
"Babe! What if she knew it was you and she goes blabbing! It will be all over the news."
"She didn't know me...."
"How do you know?"
"Bc she asked me if I knew who was singing the song that was playing in the store...and it was 'Raspberry Beret.' She was about 16."
"She might have been testing you. What did you say?"
"I said I thought it was Prince and she said she didn't know Prince William sang."
"No she didn't?!" I said, doubling over with laughter.
"I can't make this stuff up."
"How can she work, and possibly live, within miles of Paisley Park and never have heard of you?!!"
"I have no idea. But it was kinda refreshing."

When we got back home, I immediately went to the kitchen and and tore open the ice cream, grabbed a giant spoon, and ate it straight out of the carton. "Want a bowl babe?"
"No I'm good." I reply, with a mouth full of ice cream.
"I'll rub your feet for a solid hour tonight if you dip one of those peppers in the ice cream and take a bite."
"No! Gross!"
"Two hours? Or I'll do anything you want or give you anything you want..."
"I don't want anything that bad. You do it."
"What do I get if I do?"
"Whatever you want..."
"I can't think of anything either. Damn it! Ok let's both do it and see who can actually keep it down."
"Fine! This is dumb." I complain, as I grab a pepper from the bag. We both dip our peppers in the ice cream and hold it up to our mouths. "On three." Prince instructs. "One, two, three!" We both take a bite at the same time and something about the crunch or the consistency maybe, immediately turned my stomach and I spit it out and ran for the sink. I started dry heaving into the sink and Prince starts chuckling. "Geez babe. It wasn't THAT bad!"
"Yes it was! Now I don't even want the ice cream!"
"Come on momma. Let's go to bed. I'll fix you some pancakes when we get up."
I stuck the ice cream in the freezer and follow Prince to the bedroom. We get undressed and climb into bed, Prince spooning me tightly. "Thanks for going with me to see my family today. Other than Duane, I hope it wasn't too awful."
"No babe. It wasn't. I don't mean to cause any more problems and tension..."
"You don't. It's always been like this. They are a bunch of morons. That's why I appreciate you going with me. Helps me keep my sanity. But I'll understand if you don't want to be around them again. You don't have to attend the funeral if you don't want to. I'll just go and then come straight home...."
"Honey of course I'm going to your father's funeral. Don't be ridiculous. I'm good with being around them...maybe just not alone anymore."
"Oh no way. You will stick to me like glue from now on. Anyway how about we invite our church family over this coming week? Brother Gibson called me yesterday. I guess they found out about dad passing and he offered for him and several others to come over and bring food. I told him it wasn't necessary. I said I would talk to you and get back with him about a time for everyone to come over and fellowship."
"That sounds great baby. How about Thursday evening? That gives me time to plan a menu and get groceries."
"No baby. I don't want you to be put out. We can either have Maria prepare something or ask everyone to bring a dish like a potluck."
"I would like to do it. Plus I'm sure a lot of the women think I probably sit around and look pretty while I have maids and housekeepers and cooks do all my 'wifely' duties. I don't want to give any fuel to the fire. I want them to feel like they can relate to me."
"Ok babe. That makes sense. I will call him back tomorrow to set it up. Goodness knows I would rather hang out with them than my own family."
"No offense honey. But me too!"