Chapter 34

Prince and I had a magical Christmas and New year together. Even though he would never admit it, I think he was growing accustomed to his mom being around and I rarely heard him complain about it. I dare say they were even bonding. As we left for our 28th week prenatal appointment, Mattie saw us off with a smile and hugs. "Hurry back and tell me all about it." She eagerly says as we walk towards the door. "I've never heard of people going to appointments in the evening before."
"Alright mom, Pat Sajak is probably lonely without you. You better get in there." Prince says as he opens the door for me.

When Dr. Thatcher comes into the room she greets us warmly as always. "Hello Mr. Nelson. We missed you at the last appointment. It's nice to see you again." She says as she shakes his hand.
"Please call me Prince. I stayed in LA a little longer and missed the last appointment. It ended up being a waste of time. I would have much rather been here. And I guarantee I won't be missing anything else." He explains.
"Well your wife passed her glucose test with flying colors. I'm not surprised with her healthy eating and regular exercise." Turning her attention towards me, she smiles and says "ok well we are in the home stretch. Third trimester. How are you feeling?"
"I feel great! No complaints!" I grin.
"Well that's wonderful. Most of the third trimester is similar to the second. The last few weeks may bring on some problematic things such as swelling, but being pregnant in the winter helps with that. Sometimes trouble sleeping bc you can't get comfortable or you are up several times going to bathroom. Uncomfortableness in general too bc the baby is becoming full size. Your weight gain has been absolutely ideal so you may have less of that than most women since you aren't carrying around extra weight besides the baby. Legs cramps, constipation, and hemorrhoids are also common during the last trimester. If you start having a huge problem with any of it let me know and I have things you can take and use to help. Any questions about any of that?"
Prince and I both nod our heads no. "Ok first thing I want to discuss is breastfeeding vs bottle feeding. Which one do you plan to do Jensen?"
"I would like to breast feed as much as possible."
"Ok. So we can set you up an appointment with a lactation specialist before you're due to ask any questions and hopefully make it an easier journey for you."
"That sounds great."
"Ok next is childbirth class. Would you like to take one?"
"Yeah, I would." I say. "Babe?" I address Prince.
"Yeah, but is there anyway we could get someone to come to our house or have a private session somewhere?" He asked.
"Of course. Either one actually. Whatever you are most comfortable with. You probably want to do that around week 34. So we have time to discuss it some more before then. Ok starting tonight or tomorrow, I want you to begin counting kicks each day for two hours. Choose a time when you know she's most active, which is normally evenings or after meals...
"Yeah." I giggle.
"Get comfortable and count kicks. You want to feel at least 10 within that two hour time span. Most of the time you will feel all 10 way before the two hours. Once you feel 10 you can stop. I would keep a log of it. By doing that, you can see any significant deviations in the pattern. If you don't feel 10 kicks within two hours, don't panic. Try again later. However, if you don't feel 10 kicks when you try it again or you notice a significant change in pattern over 3-4 days, call me..."
"What would that mean?!" I asked, becoming increasingly worried.
"Well it could mean nothing, but it also could mean a problem and we just want to check to make sure. Counting kicks also helps prevent stillbirth. It's not very common but sometimes things like the cord getting wrapped around the baby's neck and things like that do occur."
I suddenly started feeling panicky. "Gosh I guess I thought if we had gotten this far in the pregnancy with no signs of problems, it was pretty smooth sailing. Now I'm getting worried..." I said in a shaky voice.
"Oh dear I didn't tell you those things to make you worry. It normally is very smooth sailing, but there are no guarantees of course. Would you like to do an ultrasound ? Would that help?"
"Yeah. Maybe." I say, hesitantly.
"Momma everything will be fine. She was telling you precautionary stuff, right?" Prince looks at Dr. Thatcher.
"Exactly! Let's take a look though." She suggests and gets everything ready. "First let me measure you and see if you are measuring at 28 weeks." She pulls out her tape measure and says "yep. You sure are."
She fires up the ultrasound and a much larger baby than the last time we had an ultrasound appeared. "Wow! How big is she?" I asked.
"Let's see." Dr. Thatcher says. "She's almost 14 inches and I would guess about 2 lbs, which is perfect!"
I smile up at Prince who winks at me and then turns his attention back towards the monitor. "Ok here is her brain. It is starting to get grooves and develop more brain tissue now. Everything looks great!" She says, taking the instrument off my belly and wiping off the gel.
"Thanks. That did help to ease my nerves." I assure her.
"Alright unless y'all have any questions or concerns, I will see you back in two weeks."

Over the next two weeks, I was diligent in counting kicks each night after dinner. Normally I would feel 10 in less than an hour. The day of our next appointment, we planned to leave from there for the cabin and our babymoon. Tyka was coming to stay at Paisley when nurses couldn't be there. That afternoon as we were finishing packing and starting to load the car, the nurse who was around most often, Susan, pulled Prince and me aside. "I just wanted to let you know, I don't think Mrs. Mattie has much longer. I think we are on the downslope."
Prince sighed heavily and swallowed hard, "like how much time are we talking?"
"Well of course nobody knows but I say a month tops." Susan responded.
"Honey maybe we shouldn't go...."
"No." Prince cuts me off. "We are only going to be gone a week. If she takes a turn for the worse, call us. Otherwise we are staying the entire time."
"Yes sir. I will. I will inform the other nurses too."
"Thank Susan." Prince responds as she heads back to her duties.
"Baby we still have over two months until the due date, we can put the baby moon off..."
"No Jensen. I don't want to...at all. What difference is us staying here going to make?" He asked.
"Well it won't change what happens..."
"Exactly..."
"But what if she dies and we aren't here. I've done that once. It is one of my biggest regrets. I don't want you or I to have those regrets...."
"I understand momma. My mom and I have had a better relationship now and these last few weeks than my whole life. If she does die tomorrow, I'm at peace and I know she is too. I will have a heart to heart with her before we leave. Ok?"
"Ok...."
"Actually I'll go do that right now. Why don't you go rest up before our appointment and trip? I plan on having you up all night long baby girl." He says, while giving me a passionate kiss.

A couple hours later, Prince comes to wake me up for our prenatal appointment. His eyes looked bloodshot like he had been crying. I went and said goodbye to Mattie and when I met him in the car, I asked, "are you ok baby? How did it go?"
"Yeah it was fine." He replied quickly and started up the car.
"Prince you know you can talk to me and tell me anything, right?" I say, grabbing his hand and interlocking our fingers.
"I know momma. Thank you. So...you got your counting kicks log to show the doctor today?" He asked, abruptly changing the subject.
Knowing my husband the way I do and that it is best to let him open up on his own time and not force it, I smile and say "sure do! I'm excited about our trip, baby. It's supposed to snow quite a bit this week. It's going to be gorgeous."
"It sure is momma. I can't wait to take some pictures of you in the snow out there..."
"Say what?!" I shriek. "You are going to make your poor pregnant wife go out in the snow, in what I can only assume will be next to nothing on my body?"
"No those will be for inside. We won't stay out there long. Just a few shots..."
"You sound like a real photographer!" I giggle.
"I think you will be impressed." He says, squeezing my hand and pulling into the parking lot.
The appointment was short and sweet. She said it was basically just an appointment to address any questions or concerns, and at this point I didn't really have any. Plus I was eager to get to the cabin so I knew anything I might think of could be addressed at our next appointment in two weeks. Since everything was progressing perfectly, she sent us on our way.
By the time we pulled up to the cabin, it was getting dark.

"THIS is your cabin?!" I exclaimed as Prince parked under the covered section by the front door

"Yeah. Why?" He asked, looking confused.
"I don't know why, but I was expecting a dainty small cabin. This is gigantic! Look at all the windows! We can't be having sex and taking semi naked pictures in front of any of those..."
"Oh yes we can...and we will!" Prince corrects me as he hops out to open my door and help me out of the car.
"Babe! What if someone sees us?!"
"Jensen look around. Do you see another cabin? We are really secluded. Nobody is going to be hiking this time of year. I think we will be ok." He continues, as he holds my hand and leads me to the front door. "Be careful baby. It's slippery right here."
Prince gets me inside and goes to get our luggage. I start walking around in awe. A couple minutes later, I hear "momma? Where'd you go?"
"I'm exploring! It's beautiful!" I yell back.
"I know! So show yourself so we can start doing some even more beautiful things inside it!"