Chapter 23

Sanity? What Sanity?🙃

Danni POV

*a month later*

I lay on my bed and stare up at the ceiling. Kelsey was sleeping peacefully next to me, her soft snores filling the room. I groaned. Its been a month since I left the house where Luke has now barricaded himself. We've tried everything to coax him out. His friends tried, his mother tried, hell even I tried. I went up there with Kelsey one day to seen if I could bring him out. I stood outside the front door and yelled in. "Luke! Its me, Danni! Please come out! Your pack needs you!" I heard him scoffed on the other end, "They have you, what more do they need!" "Luke! Come on find your sanity!" All if a sudden the door swung open. I stumbled back a nearly fell on the Ground, but Luke caught me by my arm. He stared me in the eye dangerously. I could see the crazed alpha hidden deep within. Kelsey raised her hackles and began to growl at him, baring her sharp teeth. "Sanity?" He whispered in my ear, "What sanity?" He released me and I fell backwards into Aiden. I heard the door slam shut and everything went silent.

I was so focused on that moment I hadn't noticed Faith walk in. She sat on the bed next to Kelsey, "D, are you okay?" I sighed, "As okay as I could be." She twiddled her thumbs in her lap, "I'm sorry Danni, I wish there was something I could do to help you." I sat up, "Its not your fault Faith, don't get so down about it", I smiled, " Why don't we go shopping? That always lifts our spirits." She laughed, "I'm down, let's go!" We began to walk out, "Wait," Fith spoke up, "What about Kelsey?" I looked at the sleep in wolf and nodded to Faith. "I left a note next to her for when she wakes up, that way she knows where we are." Faith nodded and we left the room.

Luke's POV

I sat there, curled up on my couch in my wolf form. This was getting ridiculous. After Danni left, my wolf went absolutely nuts. He started tearing everything apart. I had let him do it. I didn't even try to stop him. I knew how he was feeling. Nothing was left unshredded. Everything was destroyed. Nobody even tried to come in or coax me out anymore. All they do now is station guards around the house.

My wolf jumped off of the couch and began to search.
Um, Zane? What are you looking for? There's nothing left, you destroyed the place.

He growled in response.

My mate, I can smell her scent. Its very faint but I want to find it.

I rolled my eyes internally, "Its her room bud. She didnt leave anything here other than her scent in her room."

Zane shook his head.
No, its something else Luke. Now shut the hell up and let me search in peace.

I stayed silent as my crazed wild continued his search. He followed the scent up the stairs into Danni's room. He pushed the door open and there was nothing.

See? What did I tell you? There's nothing but an old scent in her old room.

Shut Up! There's something here I know it!

He pushed himself under her bed but there was nothing to be found. Nothing on her desk, nor in her dresser or on the nightstand. Zane growled in frustration. I stayed quiet and waited for him to go back to the loving room.

He got up to leave but stopped almost instantly. He looked to the closet door and made his way over to it. Paws on the handle, he pushed the door open to find a single scarf that had fallen off its hanger. It was pink and kinda wooley, good for the cold weather coming soon. Zane carefully took it up in his jaws and threw it over his back. Back downstairs, he had been curled up on the couch again with scarf in between his front Paws, fast asleep.

I sighed and decided to rest as well. All of a sudden, I felt my mate bond prick and become painful. Zane woke up with a start and stared at his front leg confused. The pain hit again but harder. Zane yelped in surprise, there wasn't anyone else here other than us. Soon, there came a frantic scratching and faint whimpers outside the front door. Zane flew off the couch an pushed it open.

Outside stood confused guards and a very fearful looking Kelsey. She ran in and turned to face me. There was a note in her mouth and I continued to stare at her. She laid down the paper on the coffee and barked at me. I ran over and read it, taking it all in.

Dear Kelsey, sorry we left you all by yourself but we didn't want to disturb your sleep. I've noticed your lack of sleep ever since we moved in and decided to let you sleep in. Please don't worry and don't be upset with me! Faith and I went to the mall to find myself some new clothes! I'll be home in a couple hours, I wrote this at 11:45 so you can keep track of when I'm supposed to be back. I love you Kels! Hope you slept well!

XOXO ~ Danni

We didn't have a girl named Faith in our pack...

Zane whipped his head to the clock on the wall that had been out of his rampaging reach earlier. It read 2:30. She wasn't back yet, Kelsey is worried, and that pain didnt just come out of nowhere. I must go find her! Taking control of the Alf form, I sprinted out of the house into the Pack home. I grabbed and change of clothes and ran, Kelsey right behind me.

Danni was in trouble and no petty argument was gonna keep me from saving my mate.

We reached the edge of the forest where it meets the city. I shifted and put on my clothes. I turned to Kelsey and she awaited my next move. I sighed, "Kelsey, I know You aren't gonna stay here."

She growled and shook her head.

"The other option is this." I pulled out a collar and leash I had stashed away in my office for uncontrollable wolves.
She growled again and stepped away.

"I know, I know, but we need to blend in and the best way to blend you in is as a pet. I promise I'll make it up to you but right now we need to save Danni."

She quit growling and stepped forward again. She sat down and waited for me. I sighed in relief, "Thank you Kelsey, as I said, I promise I'll make this up to you."

She simply huffed and began walking out onto the sidewalk, into the city.

🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺

Hello my shifter friends! Ima just come out and say it, I suck at keeping up with updates, please dont hate me! Lol I'm updating as fast as I can right now I swear! Anyway, I'll be sure to get another chapter out soon!

Shifter out!