Deep Breaths

(A/N: This is probably an imagine that all of us can relate. I relate to it immensely. So, I hope this may help you guys remember that you're not alone. A lot of us go through these things.
Requested By: Deansbrighthalo  )

You giggled as Mark kissed your cheek in the car. You held his hand while he used his other to steer the wheel. It was a beautiful day in Los Angelos and it was Fourth of July. Mark had taken you out for a day on the town. First, it was breakfast at a cute café, then a romantic walk in the park, lunch, and now going to a parade to celebrate this day.
You were doing just fine today, everything was going so well. As your destination grew closer, your stomach started churning more and more. Crowds grew in large numbers until the whole street was overcrowding with people awaiting for the parade to start. You let go of Mark's hand, clasping your own together in worry.
You bit your lip, your eyes scanning over the many heads of people passing by. Mark danced in the driver's seat, clapping his hands in excitement. His black hair was extra fluffy today and he was wearing his black skinny jeans and favorite red and black flannel. He adjusted his glasses and looked over at you.
"This is going to be so gr-hey what's wrong?" He asked, his smile dropping instantly when he saw the look on your face. You snapped your head back to his, clearing your throat and wiping the "look" of of your face. You shook your head, smiling weakly at him and unbuckling your seatbelt.
"Nothing, honestly. I'm fine, really. Let's get going!" You opened the door, hearing him get out as well. He looked at you, then looked back at the large crowds forming. He pursed his lips, walking over to you.
"That's a big crowd, if you don't want to-"
"Nonsense. Let's go, it'll ruin your day! Besides, it's just a parade!" You knew you were saying this more to yourself than at Mark. He seemed reluctant, but broke out into a smile and nodded. He grabbed your hand and you both started walking straight into the crowd. You started sweating, your chest tightening just a little bit as you walked past a few people.
You kept a tight grip on Mark's hand as he chattered about things you couldn't hear at the moment. All you were concentrated on were how many people were around you. You tried catching your breath; flickering your eyes whenever someone brushed past you. It took awhile for you to let Mark get this close to you, being around total strangers seemed like a bad idea now.
All around you people were cheering, screaming, shouting, and laughing. All of it seemed to be drilling right into your ears. You stumbled along behind Mark, trying not to let your thoughts get the best of you. You tried blocking out the noises but they continued getting louder and louder.
Your chest at this point felt like exploding, like no matter how much air you sucked in, it was pointless. You whimpered, your forehead starting to break out into sweat as you took in feeble quick gasps of air. You were halfway through the crowd but you felt like you were drowning.
People brushed and pushed by you, making your skin crawl and your anxiety increase. You tried calling at Mark, but it felt like a hand had wrapped around your throat. You were too constricted to speak at this point. You gasped for air, jumping whenever someone shoved past you. There were too many people, too many voices, too many noises. You shouldn't have thrown yourself into this so quickly. Instead of easing yourself, you went head first.
    "M-Mark.." You cried weakly, tears springing in your eyes. You were scared, no, you were petrified now. You wanted, needed, to get out of this crowd. Tears stung your eyes and soon you felt the warm tears slip down your cheeks. The sun beat down on your shoulders and you squeezed Mark's hand. He didn't turn, his back facing you as he waved at some people and continued walking.
    Suddenly, a girl tripped, sending her crashing through your hands and knocking them apart. You gasped, stumbling back but being pushed by a wall of people. You held your chest, heaving and wheezing for air. You knew you were having a panic attack, and you needed to get to a quiet place.
    Anxiety felt like when you're in a chair and you tip it back too far. That feeling when your whole body jumps, your heart freezes and your stomach drops. Only it's ten times worse than that. It's being trapped in a room with no way out. You started crying now, attracting the attention of people close by who heard you. You couldn't speak, you were crying too hard to use your voice.
    You stayed where you were, crying in your hands and hoping Mark would come back. Your wishes were answered when you heard Mark calling out your name. You looked up just in time to see his eyes lock with yours. His face melted into guilt as he pushed past people to get you. You were gasping for air, reaching out for him. He wrapped his arms around your shoulders, steering you away from the crowd.
    He pushed through more people until you two were in an alley, plenty of space. He held you close, shushing you as you cried into his chest. You were trembling like a leaf as he stroked your hair and rubbed your back. He apologized several times, kissing your forehead and making you both kneel to the ground. You rested your back against the building, your chest aching.
    "(Y/N)...I need you to breathe. Deep breaths, baby. Deep breaths. Breathe with me, alright? Breathe with me." You nodded weakly, watching as he took in a lungful of air. You did the same, sobbing a little as you gulped in fresh air. You breathed in rhythm with Mark, his hands holding yours tightly. After a few minutes, the world stopped spinning and you were able to take slower breaths.
    "I'm so sorry, I completely lost you in the crowd. I should've never taken you into this, I should've known." You hugged him tightly, steadying your breathing and listening to the distant cheers in the streets. You pulled away, Mark's hands wiping your cheeks dry and planting a soft kiss on your lips. You gave him a weak smile, feeling tired now. He frowned, hugging you once more before you grabbed his hand and squeezed it.
    "We can go home, (Y/N). We don't even have to go to the parade. We can watch it on TV." You tried protesting but he began leading you away from the crowd and finding another route to the car. He held you close as you walked, kissing your cheek and rubbing your arm.
    "Nope, no if ands or buts about it. We are going home, you're taking a hot shower, you're going to get all snuggled up in comfy clothes and then we will watch the parade. Then, we will watch movies and I'll cuddle your ass until you're better. How does that sound?" As much as you wanted to make him happy by staying, that did sound pretty nice. So, you nodded, smiling at him and pecking his lips before the both of you walked out of the alleyway and towards the car.

(The end :). I struggle with panic attacks and anxiety a lot, more than I should have to. But I know a lot of you struggle with the same things and I want to let you all know that you're not alone. I go through them too, and I admire all of you for being so strong and being so amazing.)