Chapter 34: The Big Day Pt. 1

For some reason the room got colder or at least it felt that way. Aaliyah got the overwhelming urge to cry but didn't understand why. Shaking her head she got up and locked the door, involuntarily letting tears slide down her cheeks while  resting her forehead against her door frame.

"I'm sorry too." She shakily whispered to a fleeting DeVante.

Chapter|31

March 31st, 1993

Aaliyah

Today was the day of my big performance alongside Jodeci; we were planning on debuting 3 songs that we'd been collaborating on, to promote my extended play or ep coming soon. Although I was nervous I'd been looking forward to this day ever since Missy called and told me her idea. The only other artist I've worked with in my entire career was Robert (stage name R.Kelly) and look how well that turned out for me.

DeVante Swing, the creator of the group Jodeci, just confessed he's been harboring feelings for me a few days prior to our performance. I'd been on the fence about reaching out to him a couple of times already but always ended up talking myself out of it. I didn't want our last conversation in my living room to be the last time we seen each other or spoke especially leading up to our performance, but I just couldn't bring myself to dial his number and I guess he feels the same way.

Call it pride or just plain stubbornness but if it weren't for my feelings for Tupac I'd have no logical reason to reject DeVante whatsoever. He's been nothing but a gentleman since I've known him and I can't deny our chemistry together. He's one of my only genuine friends here in New York and I just hate the idea that that friendship might be in jeopardy. Shaking my head, I felt frustration begin to settle in. I hate being put in awkward situations with men because I never know how best to maneuver them; I'm not sure where things are with me and DeVante but I've never met anyone quite like him.

Call me selfish but I'm not ready to let go of that.

Wetting my tooth brush I applied toothpaste and lazily began brushing my teeth. It's funny but this situation has forced me to reflect and view my relationships in a different light. I couldn't help but feel like every man I'd encountered and felt close with in my life were beginning to distance themselves from me. Even though I've met countless people since my career began in New York I still feel as lonely as ever. I missed my father, Michael, and my brother, Rashad. Maybe I wouldn't be as depressed as I was if they were here with me.

Spitting the remnants of the toothpaste out, I swished some Listerine in my mouth. Brushing my feelings aside, I finished cleaned myself up and threw on a long sleeved black cropped top with baggy black jeans. Satisfied with my appearance I made my way over to the studio to begin warming up for the concert later today.

Regardless of these boys feelings towards me I'm going to do what I do best and that's sing.

Tupac

Last I'd talked to my boy Yaki he let me know  that baby girl was having a concert. I hadn't seen her in about a month and a half and it's about time I stand up like a man and go after my woman. With guest show appearances, to back-to-back interviews, it wasn't abnormal for us to go some time without seeing each other when shit got hectic but a month and a half? Shit, that was a record even for me. Baby girl got every right to be as pissed as she undoubtedly already is with me.

But I can't get caught up in that. It's time to face the music and be honest with my shorty. There ain't no way this relationship going to work if there's no trust and if this makes her lose hers in me for a while than so be it, but ima fight for what's mine regardless.