Chapter 4: Record Label

A/N

2 updates in one day? I'm on top of things

I know the song attached to this chapter isn't even in the timeframe of the story but I like it, so why not.

***

The opening of the elevator doors pulled me from my thoughts. Pac let go of my waist and instead took my hand to lead me where my career could possibly change forever.

Tupac and I were walking hand in hand down the hallway and he seemed to be looking for which door I was supposed to go into. Suddenly we stopped and he looked down at me and said:

"Here we are."

"This is it?" I asked. He nodded "Go in and kill em' ma'." he winked at me and let go of my hand to embrace me in a comforting bear hug. We finally pulled apart and he wished me good luck before turning and telling me he'd be back.

I took a deep breath then turned towards the door I reached for the door handle and thought to myself. "This is it Liyah' let's do this!"

With that burst of confidence I swung the door open and caught their full attention. I walked in and softly shut the door behind me. "Hiii." I said awkwardly waving to them.

"Are you Aaliyah?" Missy asked me. I nodded. "Nice to meet you I'm Missy Elliot." she introduced herself while outstretching her hand to me. I obliged and shook her hand as well as Timbaland's.

"Have a seat." Timbaland instructed me. I sat on the couch in the far end facing the two of them.

"So tell us about yourself, are you here because you have something you wanna prove or just cause' you know the right people who hand you these opportunities?" Timb asked rudely.

I'm not even gonna front, I was taken aback by that comment. I didn't think at all that he was gonna be so rude or blunt. I looked at Missy and she shrugged. I was speechless for a while and insulted but I got it together.

"I've always had a passion for music, it makes me happy and I know I have the ability to make others happy with my music too. And I'm not gonna sit here and lie to y'all, yeah I'm here cause' of Pac. But you know what? I wouldn't be here if he didn't believe I have what it takes to be a true artist. And after this meeting there's no doubt in my mind that y'all will feel the same way too."

They both looked surprised and exchanged looks with eachother.

"Aight Aaliyah might as well get in there and show us what chu' got." Timb said.

I nodded and rose off the couch and walked into the studio booth
then put on the headphones that were resting on the mic stand.

"You wanna do this acapella or you want us to add a beat to it?" Missy asked.

"Gimme a beat."

It took a while but soon enough a peaceful instrumental started playing throughout my headphones.

"Whenever you're ready."

I took another deep breath and started singing.

Change is inevitable
Why hold on to what you have to let go of?
Like, did I really break your heart?
Was it all my fault?
If you don't knock it off
You know like I know where this was headed

I'm a wanderer
I'm a wanderer, baby
I'm a wanderer
I'm a wanderer

I peeked a look at their expressions and noticed Tupac had entered the room. When he saw me looking at him, he gave me a big thumbs up. I smiled and that was all I needed to pour my heart and soul into my singing.

Flying kite was nice
Turquoise seas and ocean breezes
Loving you was nice
But it's a new day, a new season
I've been sad inside
And he could see it, picked up your pieces
We are just alive
And alright, alright, alright

He's a wanderer
He's a wanderer, baby
He's a wanderer
He's a wanderer

The rest of it was a blur. I sung to the best of my abilities and even if they did decide that I wasn't what they were looking for, at least I know I did my best.

After I finished the song I heard nothing but silence. I hung up the headphones and walked out. They were discussing something and it seemed like I had interrupted. Missy and Timb just stared at me with these blank expressions on their faces.

"If that wasn't good, I could do another take. I can do it better." I said quickly and nervously.

It took a while for either of them to speak and Pac was grinning ear to ear, what's going on?

"No," Timb said, I opened my mouth to protest but his words stunned me "That was perfect."

It felt like the weight of the world had just been lifted off my shoulders, I audibly sighed oh thank goodness.

"Have you ever had any vocal lessons?" Missy asked. I shook my head.

"She has a god given talent." Pac spoke up.

"And a god given body." Timb muttered under his breath while stroking his chin and checking me out.

"Aye, don't be checking out my girl homeboy." Pac said jokingly.

I blushed, did he just say I was his girl? Timb held up his hands in surrender "My bad brotha' couldn't help but notice." he said while laughing.

"It's cool," Pac paused. "She is sexy though ain't she?"

My mouth dropped, is he seriously gonna do this to me? Now?

"Payback" he mouthed.

Payback? Payback for what? I racked my brains for awhile then it came back to me. Those damned mashed potatoes.

"Oh it's like that?" I giggled repeating what he said to me.

"Yup. You damnnn right." he said playfully. I shook my head, Pac is so damn childish.

"Anyways," Missy intervened, "You got talent girl ain't no doubt about that, and you got the voice that Timb and I been looking for."

My eyebrows shot up really?

"Understand that Timb and I are taking a big risk by you, but we gonna do it anyway."

The whole purpose of this meeting was for them to take me under they wing and teach me about the music industry and yet, I knew that's not what was happening.

I'll never forget the words Timbaland spoke to me that permanently changed my life. "We gon' sign you to our record label."

***

A/N

To Evelynn124