Chapter 4 || "Begging My Name"

Start from the beginning

"No, it's a serious question." he says, and before I have the chance to blink, he grabs the goggles out of my hand and walks away with them.

"Shawn!" I yell, and a few people look back at me, including Julia. She looks from me to Shawn, smiles, and gives me a thumbs up. I hold up the middle finger to her and walk over to Shawn, who's sitting back down at our lab table.

"Can you please give me my goggles back?" I ask.

"Can you reach them?" Shawn teases, lifting his arm in the air. I don't even have to look up to know that I won't be able to reach them. Shawn looks over six foot, while I'm barely there at five-foot-two. Instead, I stand there with my arms crossed, refusing to humiliate myself and try and reach for my goggles.

"I want my goggles back." I say.

"Oh come on Helena. Can't you just ask for them back nicely? I want to hear you begging my name-" Shawn says, but is cut off by Mrs. Hernandez.

"Shawn! Give Helaina her goggles back!" Mrs. Hernandez yells, and the whole class stops and stares at us. He looks down at me and smiles, before tucking a lock of my hair behind my ear and sliding the goggles onto my face. I hear someone gasp, and a few people laugh. I know my face is bright red, and Julia's mouth hanging open from across the room isn't helping.

"Sorry Helena." he says mockingly.

"You're all juniors. I shouldn't have to discuss appropriate class behavior with you all, but I guess I do. Expect homework for the weekend." Mrs. Hernandez says, and the class groans. "Shawn, you can take a walk down the hall to the office and explain to them why you're there."

Mrs. Hernandez walks away from the lab area, fuming, to go write Shawn a pass. When he looks at me, I expect for him to be fuming as well, but instead he just looks at me and chuckles.

"Thanks Helaina." he says, turning his back to me to get his stuff from his desk. When he walks back over to the lab table to collect his papers, he turns to me and says quietly, "I wasn't joking about what I said before."

"When you said what?" I ask.

"That I want to hear you begging my name." Shawn says with a wink. He walks away, and my jaw drops. If I thought my face was red before, I would hate to see what it looks like now.

-
-
-

"Helaina! I can't believe that just happened to you!" Julia screeches in my ear, tugging on my arm. We walk down the hall moments after the bell rung. The second physics was over, I practically ran out of the room. Julia chased me down, and keeps bothering me about what happened with Shawn.

"Nothing happened." I mumble, wishing I could disappear.

"You're such a liar. Faces don't turn that red and jaws don't drop when 'nothing happens'." Julia says, and I stop and look at her. "What? Why are you staring at me like that?" I shake my head and keep walking. "Helaina! Wait!"

I ignore her and keep walking. I push open the doors to the school and step outside. I hear Julia calling my name, but I keep going. Finally, she catches up to me and grabs me by my shoulder, pulling me around.

"Why are you ignoring me? What happened in there that's so bad that you can't tell me?" Julia asks, her tone suddenly serious.

"I'm just embarrassed by what happened and don't really want to talk about it." I confess, and she nods. I start walking again, and this time, Julia is at my side.

"Can you tell me when we get in your car?" Julia asks.

"Will you finally stop bugging me if I do?" I ask, and she nods quickly. Her eyes are big and hopeful; they remind me of that of a puppy. "Fine."

"Yay!" she cheers, throwing her arms around me and hugging me. I laugh and push her off. When we reach my car, Julia practically throws herself inside. She slams the door shut and puts her seatbelt on, looking over at me excitedly. "We're in your car, so tell me what happened."

"Actually, just you are. I haven't climbed in yet." I reply, smirking. Julia just groans, but her smile is still present. I open the back door to my Jeep and put my bag down, shutting the door. I climb into the drivers seat and turn the car on. The second Julia hears the engine start up, she yells.

"Helaina! Stop procrastinating and just tell me!" Julia shouts.

"Okay, okay!" I say defeated. I put my foot on the gas and the car lurches forward. I start driving through the parking lot. "Well for starters, you're right."

"Right? What am I right about?" she asks, her nose scrunching up in confusion.

"You said Shawn was hot, and you're right. He's hot, like really hot." I reply, and she squeals and claps her hands together. "But he's also extremely arrogant."

"Oh." Julia's face falls.

"Yeah. When I first walked over and said hi to him, he completely ignored me, so I just sat down and started reading through the packet. By the time I finished reading, he leaned in so close that I could smell his cologne." I say, pulling out onto the street.

"Oh my God, how good did he smell?" she asks.

"Really good." I confess. "So he was inches away from my face, and when I started talking, he looked down at my lips and then licked his own."

"Helaina!" Julia screams, slapping my arm.

"Julia, don't do that when I'm driving!" I scold her, making a turn at the intersection.

"Sorry." she apologizes. "So, what happened next?"

"Well, he called over Mrs. Hernandez and didn't say my name correctly. He called me Helena instead of Helaina, so I corrected him and said that Helena is a character from a Shakespeare play. He called me William, you know, like William Shakespeare." Julia nods. "After that he kept on calling me Helena, probably just to irritate me. So Mrs. Hernandez came over and gave us what we needed and told us to go get goggles. I grabbed a pair from the bottom, he was teasing me that I couldn't reach the top shelf, and grabbed mine, and well, I'm sure you saw what happened next."

"Yeah, I saw him blatantly flirting with you." Julia says, and I roll my eyes.

"I don't consider bullying a means of flirting." I remark.

"Oh grow up. He wasn't bullying you. God Helaina, you're always playing victim." she says.

"I seriously wonder why I'm friends with you sometimes." I joke.

"Yeah, whatever. I'm awful and all that. But seriously, what happened at the end that made you turn so bright red? I've never seen your face that color before." Julia asks.

I inhale slowly and say, "Shawn whispered to me that he wanted to hear me begging his name." Just saying the words aloud, I feel my face go red all over again. I bite the inside of my lip and try to make the blushing go away.

"Holy shit!" Julia yells, and I nod.

"Yeah." I say.

"Holy shit." she repeats. "Not gonna lie, that's pretty hot."

I shake my head as I turn the corner, pulling onto my street.

"Yeah, well, I wanted nothing more in the moment than to crawl into a hole and die." I confess, and she laughs.

"You're the only girl I know who wouldn't melt hearing Shawn Mendes whisper those words to you."

"Sue me." I reply, pulling into my driveway.

-
-
-

AN: Next chapter is up! Hope you guys enjoy this!! Please comment with feedback and your opinion on the story so far, and don't forget to vote! Thanks!