The Baby Momma

It had been about a month since the whole surprise wedding and I still woke up every morning amazed that it happened. Things weren't that much different but during breakfast one day an interesting topic came up.

Andrew, "mommy if you and Caleb are married and he's our new daddy then how come we don't have the same name?"

Nia, "he's our step dad idiot. We still have our real dad"

"Nia don't call him an idiot and Andrew that's a good question. You see me and daddy had you so you have daddy's last name. But Caleb is papa. Remember we read that book about when some kids get extra parents"

Andrew, "but I want Caleb to be my daddy. He's more fun that real dad and he doesn't say mean things to me"

"What are you talking about baby? What mean things does he say? Nia do you know anything about this?"

Nia, "why would I know anything about that. You know dad and I don't spend any time together since he decided it was more important to take his stupid girlfriend to Disney world instead of coming to see me play"

"Nia that was almost a month ago. I thought you told me you went to his house last weekend? Where were you then"

Caleb, "hey how's everyone going? Andrew you ready for the science test?"

Andrew, "I wan you to be my dad now"

Caleb, "uhh--wha"

"Listen we will discuss this later. Nia would you please tell Kai to come downstairs. I have to drop her to school and take Julian to day care. And tonight we'll have a family meeting. I need to know what's going on"

Caleb, "babe I can drop the kids. I know you have to take Toya to her appointment today. I'll just tell daycare you might be a little late for pick up. They totally understand"

"Are you sure? It's like the opposite side of the city for you?"

Caleb, "it's no worries. I'll call you when I'm at work and we can catch up. Okay"

"Okay. Love you and everyone have a good day"

As the house cleared out I cleaned up and had to get ready for the doctors appointment. At this moment in time Toya and Trey weren't speaking at all and even the lawyers were at a standstill. I would have to speak to trey about these allegations he was being mean to the kids and remind him of his responsibilities as parent. By the time we reached the doctors office it was minutes to 11 and I was exhausted. Toya was in good spirits and had her sister in town so they chatted up a storm with the doctor and I sat around. Before leaving though the doctor asked if I was willing to get a check up on me. I figured why not and maybe we could talk about future planning. I mean I wasn't exactly old old but time wasn't waiting on anyone.

Doctor, "okay so tell me what's you're lifestyle like now?"

"What do you mean?"

Doctor, "what's your schedule like these days and do you think you'll want to have additional children any time soon?"

"Honestly right now I'm swamped with the kids I have now. I know my husband wants kids in the future but we have a big move coming soon and it just wouldn't be the right time"

Doctor, "okay. So I would like to suggest that planning a pregnancy as you get older is wise and that you should consider freezing your eggs. Does that sound like something that interest you?"

"I have never thought about it before but I guess I would consider it?"

Doctor, "I mean do you plan on getting pregnant within the next two years or at a later time. If so then freezing may be the way to go. You've had 5 children and from your records it shows that the last pregnancy was filled with complications. It may be good to consider a surrogate and you would have to go through the freezing process anyways so why not get a head start"