His grin faded and his eyes went a little unfocused as he stared at me.

“Flynn?” I said, waving my test in front of his face when he failed to reply. “You okay?”

“Yeah,” he said, giving his head a shake, grabbing the paper from my hands and his grin was back. “An A?”

I nodded, reaching for the paper, wanting to hold onto it. Even though it felt kind of silly to be so proud of one good grade, I couldn’t help it.

He held the paper out of my reach, his eyes alight with laughter.

I stepped back and crossed my arms over my chest, quirking an eyebrow at him. “Want to stick it on your fridge?”

“Kind of,” he said, still grinning.

I shook my head and chuckled. “Give it back.”

He held it out to me and as soon as I had it in my hands, he wrapped his arms around me, catching me by surprise as he lifted me off my feet, hugging me tight to his chest.

“Put me down,” I hissed, pushing on his shoulders as my wide eyes caught on the surprised gazes of a few people standing nearby.

“It’s just a congratulatory hug, Cory.”

“People are looking,” I said through gritted teeth, casting a glare at a girl who openly pointed at us then whispered to her friend beside her. I didn’t miss the disgusted looks they sent Flynn and I redoubled my efforts.

“Who cares?” he asked.

“You don’t need your name any more attached to mine than it already is,” I snapped without thinking.

His hold on me loosened and he set me on my feet, his eyes blazing with barely restrained fury as he took a step back from me. “What are you talking about?” he said, his voice shaking with anger.

I let out a short laugh, running a hand through my hair as my gaze flicked over to a small group of girls who were whispering amongst themselves. “C’mon Flynn, you know how people see me. If you go around hugging me, it won’t be long before they start talking about you behind your back, insulting you for being with me whether it’s true or not.” I let out a short laugh and shrugged. “My own father warned you away from me, what do you think they’re going to say?” I waved my hand, encompassing all the students milling around.

“I don’t give a flying fuck what they say,” he growled, stepping closer to me but I stepped back.

“Don’t.”

He stepped closer again and I stepped back once more, bringing me flush against the side of his truck.

“Flynn, seriously, it’s not worth it,” I said quietly, trying to make him see reason but his eyes just became darker, more furious. “Once I’m gone─”