Chapter 6

Chapter 6

I crouch low in the large tree that I am hiding in. I watch as the last of the Himura’s make their way to the village gate on their way back from patrol. They freeze when they see the bodies of the fallen guards. They huddle together and start whispering. Two of the men enter the village to investigate. The rest stay where they are.

I play with my fingernails until the men return. They immediately start talking fearfully. I lean in closer to listen.

“They are all dead! Every last one of them!” the younger of the two yells, fear evident in his eyes.

“Even Lord Yamiyasha has fallen.”

“What about the elders, and the princess?”

“The elders are all dead but we were unable to find the princess’s corpse. Do you think she was taken?”

“Perhaps, Or maybe you just missed her. There is also a possibility that she fled.” At that, I scoff.

“We must find her!”

“I suppose you could do that. But there is a problem with that. I found you first.” I sneer loudly from my spot in the tree.

The men quickly scan the foliage, but fail to spot me, seeing as I am too far away for their eyes to see.

“Princess? Is that you? Come here! It isn’t safe!” I roll my eyes and jump to where the men are.

“You baka’s do you remember that I am the head of the Black ops? Or have you forgotten?” They cringe.

“Oh and I don’t think there is anything for me to fear from the “enemy”.” I say sarcastically.

“Do you think Shizuka has returned, princess?” the leader of the group ignores my remark.

“Nope.” I pull out my katana. “But I think he would have been proud to see that I finished the job for him.” I see realization fill their faces.

“You are lower than dirt. You do not deserve to live. Give me one good reason as to why I should spare your life.” I say, disgust filling my voice.

“I have a wife and children. We all have family. Please let us go home to our children!” The leader pleads. I roll my eyes.

“You do realize they are already dead, you baka’s.” I smirk.

I yawn, already bored of this little game. In a flash I slice their heads off. I watch as they roll to the ground, the headless bodies following suite.

I slash through the thorns. I have been traveling for hours and am nearing the border of The Land of Mystery, something that usually takes about a day at least.

I kick a small pebble that is on the path. I start humming a poem that my mother used to sing. I am surprised I can remember it.

The war is over,

The bloodshed done.

So stop your tears my little one.

The night is calm,

Our solders home.

So close your eyes as I sing you this poem.

Many have been lost,

But more have been found.

So dream of happiness tonight and listen to the sound.