Friends

Jimin followed Yoongi into his office, terrified by what was going to happen. Had Jimin already fucked up?

"So, Jimi--"

"I'm so sorry! I will not do whatever it was I did again. Please give me another chance!" Jimin interrupted while shutting his eyes tightly together.

Silence filled the room, and Jimin slowly peeked through his left eye to see Yoongi's face. Jimin opened both eyes when he realized Yoongi was looking at him, more confused than ever.

"Jiminie, why are you on edge?" Yoongi finally spoke.

Jimin had no good explanation for that question, as he didn't know the answer himself.

"Sorry, I tend to assume the worst," Jimin shrugged, looking awkwardly at the ground.

"Jiminie... I just wanted to give you a guiding folder, along with your first assignment," Yoongi said as he held out a folder and a small stack of papers.

"Right, that makes sense, sorry" Jimin felt embarrassed about his overreaction, but there was no point in regretting what had already happened. Jimin reached out, grabbing the other end of the folder and papers, but he was unable to pull it out of Yoongi's grasp. Confused, Jimin looked up at Yoongi, who stared him dead in the eye.

"Stop apologizing, and try not to assume the worst all the time" with those words, Yoongi let go of the things and leaned back in his chair.

"Thank you for your constant understanding and patience with me" Jimin gave Yoongi a subtle bow before turning around, heading for the door.

"You're worth it."

The words had been mumbled in a low voice, but Jimin had heard them nonetheless.

"What?" Jimin asked, wanting to make sure he had heard right.

"Oh, you heard that?" Yoongi laughed.

"Well, you could have waited till I left the room if I wasn't supposed to hear it" Jimin awaited Yoongis's explanation, but all he got was a nonchalant shrug.

"I'm glad you heard it" Yoongi smiled, which made Jimin's heart skip a beat. What was Yoongi trying to achieve with the constant flattery?

"Yoongi, I have to ask. Why are you being so nice to me?" Maybe it was a spur-of-the-moment type of thing, but Jimin had finally felt brave enough to ask Yoongi the question that floated around Jimin's head all day- and night.

"Hm..." Yoongi rearranged himself in his seat, "why? Because I like you, I consider you my friend now," Yoongi finished.

Friend.

"Oh," Was all Jimin could say, feeling slightly Disappointed, though he didn't know why. What else had he expected?

"Not happy with my answer?" Yoongi smirked, clearly noticing Jimin's dissatisfied silence.

"Of course I am. I'm happy to have made a friend" Jimin forced a smile.

"If you say so, you just seemed disappointed" Yoongi shrugged as his eyes left Jimins to look at his computer screen.

"I'm not disappointed. I could never picture any other reason," Jimin assured, which made Yoongi look back at him sharply.

"Ouch," Yoongi frowned, and Jimin couldn't tell if Yoongi was joking again. His tone had been a bit harsh, and Jimin felt trapped in the conversation. Had he said something wrong, again?

"I'm going back to my workstation!" Jimin bowed before quickly running out of Yoongi's office.

Jimin knew it hadn't been the best decision to run out. But at the end of the day, Jimin was a coward who hated confrontation. Jimin knew he wasn't ready to go back to the room with the other workers. He had too many emotions boiling inside of him. Headed for the restroom, Jimin felt angrier and angrier at himself. And as soon as he had made it inside, he grabbed hold of the sink, looking at himself in the bathroom mirror. Mentally he cursed himself to the Gods, cursed his stupid anxiety, and as he picked himself apart, he felt his anger overwhelming and unbearable. Then, as if his body had worked on its own, Jimin felt his right hand connect with his cheek, a loud smack echoed through the room. Shocked by his action, Jimin looked at himself with widened eyes in the mirror.

Had he just hit himself? The stinging sensation and the redness appearing on his cheek told him that he had. Jimin had smacked himself out of the spiraling of negative thoughts, but now he was left with embarrassment. Jimin had never done anything like that before, and he didn't know how to act or react. What were the others going to say?

What was Yoongi going to say?

Jimin splashed some cold water in his face, trying to shake the negative feelings still lingering inside him. Jimin took one last deep breath before heading back to his department, hoping to fly under the radar.

And Jimin thought he had succeeded as he sat down at his desk without anyone interfering, but he had been too fast.

"Hey Jimin, what did Yoongi want?" Hoseok had approached Jimin, and Jimin tried facing the other way, but Hoseok had a keen eye and a loud mouth. "Did he hit you?!" Hoseok yelled as he discovered the red print on Jimin's cheek.

Jimin hadn't even thought about people assuming Yoongi would be the culprit. Could this ruin Yoongi's career? Even though Yoongi had done nothing wrong.

"The chairman hit you?!" Almost in unison, the three other men had chimed in after 'coincidentally' hearing Hoseok. Before Jimin could deny the false claims made at Yoongi, the others had rushed over to see what the head of the company had done to him.

"No! Guys, slow down, it wasn't him! I promise!" Jimin reassured them. He could feel his hands begin to shake. Jimin had messed up big time, and all because of his stupidity. Now Yoongi's reputation was on the line.

"Who else could it be? Don't cover for that fucker!" Jungkook yelled, his fist pressed into a ball. "So hot," Taehyung whispered, looking at Jungkook in awe. Jimin felt stuck in a daze, trying to hear what everyone around him was saying.

"I promise, he didn't hit me! Please believe me" Jimin tried again, but they didn't believe him.

As everyone gathered around Jimin, yelling their thoughts and opinions, Jimin thought about what to say. He couldn't tell these people that he had just met only hours ago, that he had hit himself. They would be weirded out. They would ignore and avoid him--Jimin was sure of it. But he couldn't let Yoongi take the fall either, not after everything he had done for Jimin. Yoongi was a good man, and Jimin would not take advantage of that.

"I did it myself," Jimin admitted, barely audible.

"Huh?" They all fell quiet, their eyes burning holes in Jimin's soul as he was about to admit to one of his most flawed moments.

"Yoongi did not hit me. I did this to myself" Jimin just wanted to get it over with, and if they judged him, then that was just how it was. He had to live with his actions, and in the heat of the moment, Jimin had done something unspeakable to himself. That was the truth.

The other men stayed quiet, probably surprised by Jimin's confession.

"You hit yourself?" A voice filled the silent room, making everyone slowly turn towards the voice, looking for the owner. Jimin felt like throwing up as his eyes landed on the only man he had hoped never would find out about what he had done to himself.

Yoongi.