I Wanted A Truth

*Lydia's POV

I pace around my bedroom. Voices scream inside my mind. And I can't control them. Theses voices make me want to scream and cry. Everything I ever thought has been a lie. This lie has spread out so much that I have no idea what's the truth anymore.

My breathing stutters slightly as I run my fingers throughout my hair. I chew on my fingernail. I've chewed through my fingernails so much that you can see blood escape my skin. Stress rides my back as I lean against my doorway. How am I supposed to think with this newfound information?

"This story starts when I was given up for adoption," Allison starts. I stare at her intently, focusing on what she is about to say. "I never knew why. But I'm not gonna lie and say I wasn't curious. I never gave it too much thought until one day in the foster home I got a letter." Allison pulls out a letter from her back pocket. She hands it to me to read and I carefully open the letter as if something might pop out at me if I didn't. "It was an unknown address and I didn't recognize the name," Allison explains.

Dear Allison,
My sweet child. I can not put a lot of information in this letter just in case it ends up in the wrong hands. But I love you with all my heart. And giving you up is not something I wanted to do, but it had to be done. I'm coming for you soon. I promise. But their are bad people are there and they are there for you. Don't trust them. I'll see you soon.
Love, Dad

I stare at this letter in confusion.

"About a week after that letter was given to me, your parents came and took me into their home. Parents like yours don't just come and adopt a random child. Why would they when they had the 'perfect' daughter? Nobody adopts a random girl unless they are hiding something or are planning to use her. I didn' realize that until it was too late. After the letter I was suspicious as to why they would. So, I did some snooping."

"Lydia, they wanted me to keep me away from my dad. Your dad was angry all the time with me. I felt it. But it was like indirect anger. Their was always a feeling I got when he would speak with me that it was fake and forced, and that he was mad at me for just being alive. Because I really am your sister Lydia. Not just on paper but biologically. Well, half biologically."

"What the hell are you talking about?," I speak up finally.

"Your mom was my biological mom. Well, she is my mom. That big company your mom worked for.....my dad used to be her assistant. He was having an affair with her. Until your dad found out and got super angry. He forced Mom to fire him and disconnect all ties with him. Then, Mom found out she was pregnant with me. That's why your dad was always angry with us. That's why he would beat us. And it would get me so angry when he beat you because you didn't deserve it.

"Anyways, Mom gave birth to me and gave me to my dad and expected him to take care of me. And he had no choice but to give me up for adoption once things got to dangerous for me to be around him. Because when your mom fired him, he couldn't get another job. Dad had to resort to drug dealing. This one man was after him because he refused to let my dad get out of the drug dealing business. It got dangerous and Dad didn't want me to be in that kind of world where drug dealers were showing up at the door. He really wanted out the business when I was sent to the hospital for getting into a dangerous drug. I don't know the name of it, but I was hospitalized for a week. I almost died. But no matter what the guy didn't let my dad out the business. So, Dad had to run. And the price was letting me go. He gave me up for adoption and sent that letter after I was put in the system.

"But the thing that I always questioned was why your parents came for me after that letter. And why would they want me when they already had a daughter. They had the perfect family. Drugs weren't the only problem Dad was having. He was in constant fights with your dad. And your dad wanted to make mine miserable. And that included taking the last piece of family he had. Me. In your dad's office there were a whole bunch of letters and birthday cards I never got. I heard your dad yelling from all the way across the house at my dad on the phone.

"One day, when we were at the mall, a month before my staged death, I was in H&M and Dad approached me. We stayed in contact, but we needed a way for me to get away from your parents. I needed to be with him. Because before I knew it, I was already involved in danger. Dad was the only way to ensure I would be safe. When you didn't take the news about the move well, we went to plan B. My death.

"Before you accuse me of killing an innocent girl, I didn't. It was a drug I took. And it slowed my heartbeat to make it seem as if I was dead. Dad worked with some people that did the shooting and Dad pretended to be a doctor and pronounced me dead-"

" I saw your body," I say, cutting her off.

" You saw my casket which was empty."

"Why come back now?," I question her.

"It's not fully safe yet. But it is safe enough. I came back when it was safe enough for you. For us to be together again like we were before. We are sisters."

"We were sisters," I correct. My eyes travel down towards the ground right before I ask the question I wanted to ask. "Why did you murder Mom and Dad?"

" Because of what they were planning. And before you ask about the other people on the boat that are probably still being hospitalized, they weren't that innocent either. I can't tell you everything you want to hear. But I have told you enough. I told you enough to satisfy you until next time."

I wanted a truth that I couldn't handle.