Chapter 19

Cheyanne’s POV

“Cheyanne, please hand me the next bundle of christmas lights. We probably need to go back to the store to get more.” My mother points to the cabinet where we store all our decorations in our garage. I lazily walk over to it and grab what she needs. 

It’s Saturday morning, the day after all my finals are completed and turned in to be corrected. Every single day of this week, I crammed so much information into my head, I thought my head turned into a balloon. By the time I woke up in the morning, only getting three hours of sleep, I looked like a zombie and didn’t speak coherently. I didn’t even try to look good. Who the hell has time for that? I put my hair up into a ponytail, how I usually do it other than leaving it down naturally straight, shoved on jeans and a baggy sweatshirt I could find. Three times this week I even forgot a pencil. A freaking pencil. I’m glad school is over, winter break is starting, and I can sleep all I want. So far, catching up on my sleep hasn’t been working. 

“Here.” I lift up the dangling lights to my mom.

“Thank you. Go start putting the candy cane sticks on the sides of the grass. Five on each side.”  I sigh deeply, but agree anyway. You may be wondering where the heck is Christina and Austin here to help. Austin, being the only boy and the most difficult person to wake up in the morning, gets to sleep in and Christina slept over at her friend’s place. Mia and Belle, well, they’re little and annoying, so they’re no help. 

I grab the stupid candy cane sticks and end up dropping one each time I take a step. I huff in frustration and try to pick it back up. 

“Easy there tiger. Where’s your spirit?” I look up and instantly get happy by the warm, welcoming smile that belongs to my grandpa.

“Good morning pa. Don’t you look quite handsome for a morning.” He chuckles and gives me a hug. 

“Oh charming Cheayanne. You look..” He studies me for a few seconds and I know that he’s trying to find the right words. 

“Ha ha. I know I’m a mess. This-” I point to my checkered pajama pants, black, long sleeve shirt, and hair bun. “-is what late nights and a week long of studying does. You gotta love high school.” I say sarcastically. 

“You don’t look THAT bad. You’re still that cute, little girl who wore big clothes and took silly pictures.” He pinches my cheek and I can’t help but laugh at the memory of me stealing my dad’s shirt and wore it like a dress when I was younger. Those were great memories. 

“Thanks pa. Where’s ma at?” I search behind him and see no sign of her. 

“Oh that boy of yours is helping her carry baking supplies from the car. We’re here to bake all kinds of sweets with Mia and Belle. Where are those youngsters?” He starts walking away from me, leaving me confused. I grab his arm. 

“Who?”

“Your boyfriend. The one who sat next to you at the restaurant. Really funny and strong man he is.” He nods his head behind me and I turn to see Chace carrying a box full of supplies right behind ma up the driveway. Shit.

“Look pa, I think you misunderstood. That guy and I aren’t dating. AT ALL. No way. No no no.” I wave my hand frantically side to side. 

He furrows his eyebrows together and scratches his head. My mom, hearing our conversation, climbs down the ladder and helps me with this situation. 

“Thanks for coming.” She hugs my dad’s dad, also know as her in-law. “Let’s talk about this later shall we?” Pa shakes his head and follows her to the front door.