Chapter 15

Cheyanne’s POV

I, Cheyanne Grace, am freaking out. Why am I freaking out? The two hustling weeks left of school makes me feel like a lunatic. There’s so much to do like performing at the dance competition in the next town over, the volleyball tournaments, studying for finals, reading, the homework compiled over the days, and fuck it’s all a mess! Just last week, I was confident and collective that everything is going to fall right into place and I’ll be ready to go, but no! Every time I think, I get a small seizure inside myself. Hannah is perky and excited which throws me off because she should be the one hyperventilating. That’s mean, right? I just can’t believe our roles have switched. 

“Eekkk, I can’t wait for the competition tomorrow!” Hannah jumps off the couch and squeals with the members of the dance team. Oh my god, I can’t breathe. “Chey! You’re not showing any enthusiasm! Where’s the spirit!?” 

“Umm..” I breath in and out. “Yeah, we got this.” I say weakly, but all of them don’t mind and start squealing again. 

“Are you giving birth or something Cheyanne? I don’t want to be here when that baby pops out.” I immediately snap my head towards Joseph who’s walking out of the kitchen with a half eaten sandwich and glare at him. Zack comes right behind him and smacks him on the head. “Hey! That hurt!” 

“Man up bro.” Carter grips onto Joseph’s shoulder while chewing his sandwich as well. Zack joins me in the couch, the empty space that was left by Hannah, and holds me in his arms. 

“Don’t listen to him Chey. I know you girls will do great tomorrow. Every team dancing tomorrow is talented, like come on it’s a dance competition, but having fun and showing that you’re dedicated out there will shine through at the end of it. I’ve watched all of you at practice, for five minutes and then you kicked me out missy. How mean.” Zack pouts and I can’t help but laugh. “And you’re laughing at me. Double mean!” 

I gently smack his abs. “Thanks Zack. That means a lot. You know what to say and when to say it.”

“Anything for you liddol Chey.” He coos, using his voice like he would be talking to a baby.

I roll my eyes. “Are you going to come to it?”

“I’ll go all out! I’ll wear a tutu and bring a poster that glows in the dark that has your name. I’ll kick my foot in the air and twirl like those girls who do it in-” I elbow him in the stomach, making him groan in pain. 

“Don’t you ever do that! Please!” I say while laughing hysterically. 

“Oh you would look outstanding darling!” Carter mimics a drag queen voice. “He learns from the best!” Carter kicks his foot up in the air, knocking Joseph’s sandwich out of his hand, and twirls. Everyone bursts out laughing while Joseph drops to his knees looking horrified at his torn sandwich on the ground. I can’t live without these boys.

“My perfectly made turkey sandwich!” Joesph cries is agony. “How could you!” Carter grips onto the couch trying to compose himself from his laughing fit. My mom walks down the stairs, making everyone control themselves and look normal. 

“I heard laughing and wondered what was funny.” My mom is so stunning being at age thirty-eight. She’s been though so much, but she doesn’t look like she aged. Her light brown hair is tied up, the small crinkles by her eyes and smile bring out the beauty in her. She holds her cup of hot chocolate and walks over to where Joseph is at. “Joseph, are you okay?”

Joseph looks up at her and points to Carter. “He did this. He broke my sandwich.” Carter is still silently laughing and he can’t even respond. Zack hits him on the side while I try to hold in my giggles.